1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do GHS Boomers usually die too quickly?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jake, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Jake

Jake

Dec 11, 1999
    Florida
    I recently put a set of GHS Boomers on my MIM P-Bass and after playing like 4 church services, I don't practice as much as I should on electric, they sound almost like Flatwounds. Is this usually how it goes with Boomers? I've noticed I haven't seen them on the BG board very much. I like the sound new, but they just totally died on me after not that much playing time. Which strings have a similar sound and feel but last longer?

2. alfie98

alfie98

Apr 7, 2006
    Yup your right. They go dead real quick. Ya might be a gig out of em if that.

Matt

3. Yup they die fast but I like them dead on some basses. I have kept dead boomers on some basses for 5-10 years, until one breaks. I have flats on some others.

One type of inexpensive roundwound that has stayed pretty zingy for me for a long time are the ones that were sold in the Danelectro orange boxes. Those have stayed bright enough that I have frequrently EQed the high end down even after a long time. Don't have long term experience with other rounds because I sold some basses.
    Peace,
    S

4. always played ernie ball slinky's on my '62 jaguar. friend swore by the ghs boomers for guitar. tried a set-they were the deadest sound i had ever heard-removed them the next day. because of this i have always stayed away from the ghs bass strings-period. flats-i prefer rotos; rounds for fretted bass-blue steel ss. rounds for my new fretless-like to try dr sunbeams & lo riders.

5. Jake

Jake

Dec 11, 1999
    Florida
    I just found out my friend who's in the gear buisness can get D'Addario XL's for ten bucks. I am going to ask him for a set of those because I like the feel and the warm sound of basic nickel wound strings. I wouldn't mind having to change them often at that price.

6. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Same for me, picked up a set, strung up the bass and a month later they were dead as doornails.

DR strings all the way

7. Jake

Jake

Dec 11, 1999
    Florida
    Did TalkBass.com just go dark and blue colored or did I click the wrong icon???

8. :D no not bed & breakfast! good one jake!

9. Jake

Jake

Dec 11, 1999
    Florida
    Huh? I don't get it. Really though, my TalkBass screen turned dark blue instead of the regular white, grey, & blue. It's kinda wierd but the bright letters on dark blue are a little easier to read.

10. :meh: jake-just figured you were talking about dark meaning dead strings & blue meaning blue steels. hope your monitor is working ok now.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021