Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do glasses frames have gold inside?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    My glasses are getting a little worn out and my lenses are started to become scratched. I still wear contacts but not as often. I would like to get glasses but why do a lot of the frames cost upwards of 200$ plus? I don't get it, is there gold inside these things or what? Seems a little extreme for something so small and easy to produce.

2. people will pay it tho . . . . thats why they are that expensive, its a bit exploitive, but, they dont exactly sell huge amounts compaired to some other things

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I pay the extra $$$ for lightweight Ti frames. So light that I can engage in vigorous outdoor activity and not have the glasses bounce off my face.

4. I think you could cut that price in half if you weren't so determined to get the ones that make you look like elton john. ;)

5. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Ive never really shopped around at frames, but I havent really seen too many quality frames under 125 or so. Perhaps my guy rips me off. I think he does... he drives a beemer. :eyebrow:

6. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    They are so expensive since you get new glasses only once in a few years. I think my Dolce&Gabbana black plastic frames were only something like $100 though, but the special coated lenses, then.. :eek:

Last time I went to the optician it cost me $600! $350 for the glasses and $200 plus for good sunglasses. No compromises made though, designer frames, top of the line lenses etc. I think they were worth it - I've even got some random positive comments from people :D

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Go to a local thrift shop and you'll probably find frames for close to nothing.

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I got a pair of sunglasses and a pair of glasses (same frame color and style) for less than 300. And they're not hug, ugly "insurance" frame.

9. well they're quite delicate things really

10. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Got Sears in Detroit? They have a very well priced optical dept... Or try some of the other Department stores. I just got new glasses from JC Penny optical that cost me just over $200.

11. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i got my frames for like 20 bucks at walmart

12. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    God......the pair that i have on right now costs $450. Lenses were like $150 frames around $300. I dig em though.

We've always gone to the saaame optician. Overpriced? To me, yeah. I doubt that once i get out on my own that i will buy my glasses from them-the price is quite high. I figure Eyeglass World would be fine.

That's all

13. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Probably because like many other industries catering to health and well being, many peoples insurance cover it.