1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do gold soapbar pickup covers exist?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SnL, Oct 18, 2017.

1. SnL

SnL New World Man

Dec 25, 2006
    Ohio
    Spent all day looking for metallic gold covers for my 6 string EMGHz soapbars. No diiice. Just entertaining the idea for a project bass. Trying to not spend beaucoup dinero. Wondering if anyone has experience with, maybe, gold craft foiling or any other good ideas to make my pickups attract fingerprints.
    If you hate the idea, that's cool. But that's not what I need to know:smug:

2. The covers on those pickups are not removable. Even if you found some new covers, you would not be able to use them.

3. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Word on the street is @JIO may know a thing or two about gold leaf.

JIO likes this.
  4. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    Artec pickups make these:

ARTEC035.

It would be as simple as skinning your EMG pickups, skinning the Artecs, epoxying the guts into the EMGs into the cases of the artecs and calling it a day.

I've skinned a few soapbar pickups, and it can be done. I've never been able to reuse the cases however; I've only ever been able to reuse the guts in other cases I've bought for the purpose.

In fairness EMG hz pickups are probably on a par with Artec pickups in terms of tone and build quality...