Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do groundwounds like brite flats eat frets

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by TheSuzie, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Hi,

I used to use brite flats on my fretless (now sold) which had an ebanol fingerboard that could probably take any abuse you could dish out. I kind of like the sound of those strings so I was thinking of putting a set on my fretted bass. My only concern with these strings is that I can feel a certain roughness to the surface that I am guessing is a byproduct of the way they are manufactured. This makes me a bit concerned that they may cause fret wear.

Has anyone out there been using these strings on a fretted bass? Any signs of the fret wear that I am worried about? Am I being overly concerned?

Peace,
    S

2. SGT. Pepper,

Did you mean

1. Nope, they don't eat frets / no signs of fretwear

or

2. Nope, I am not being overly concerned

Just want to be 100% sure I get what you meant.

Thanks,
    S

3. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    No they don't eat frets, yes you are being overly concerned. Nickel roundwounds aren't rough on your frets either.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Steel rounds obliterate frets though!

5. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Life is too short not to use whatever strings you like!

6. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

But I love the sound of steel. I love dean markely Blue Steels and DR Hi Beams!

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Steel rounds can do damage to your frets if you've got a heavy fretting hand action, but otherwise they're fine.

I like those ground wounds too...I had some brite flats on my Fretless back when I used to gig that bass...they were a good way to get a more relaxed string tension and also get a little cut to your sound.

You shouldn't have any problem using them on a fretted bass.

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I've forgotten who makes the ground wound. Is that a GHS ? I like the D'Addario half round. It's available in both nickle and steel. I dial in a farily low action and have a fairly light touch on my fretting hand. I don't see any fretwear issues coming from half rounds.

Another option is the coated round from DR. I have two basses strung with Black Beauties at the moment and they have a pretty nice feel. The coating gives them a restrained high end so they aren't over the top zingy like most full rounds. Zingy-wise they fall between a TI Super Alloy, my standard for a full round and the half-round. I strung one bass up just prior to year end so I could use it on NYE so it's too early to tell on the fretwear aspect.

The BB's look very cool against my Orange and White PG, maple necked Reverend and also against a CAR 44-02 with maple. So that appeals to the 'You..look mahvelous!' in me. It's important that the bass looks cool, 'cause the owner isn't going to anytime soon...;)

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've recently become enamored with tapewound strings. I put a set of Fender nylon tapewound strings on my homemade frankenfretless and I think I may love them.

10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I have a set of those Nylon Tapewound strings too.

Mine aren't Fenders, but back in 1997 or so I put them on my MIJ Jazz fretless...used them for about a year and a half (without losing any tone or feel the whole time)...then lent the bass to a friend who played the bass for about 3 more years, recording several albums and touring with the bass throughout the US and Europe several times...

...When the bass made it back to me a few years ago, it had the SAME STRINGS...and they still sounded great and were in perfect shape!