1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do half-rounds have the growl of roundwounds? What about Pressurewounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by justaguyfromkc, Dec 19, 2017.

1. I'm loving the feel of the Jazz Bass 77 LDs that I have on my Tele bass, but missing the growl that it had with roundwounds. I'd like to have the best of both worlds. Is that more likely to happen with half-rounds (and does anyone other than D'Addario make them?) or GHS Pressurewounds? Or some other string?

Thanks!

2. Pressurewounds are more round-ish in tone than any half-rounds.

That said, if you want growl out of flats, try the Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats. They're the growliest of all flats.

3. Electric-Gecko

Electric-Gecko

Dec 19, 2017
    "Half-rounds" and "ground-wounds" are all synonyms.

Based on some video clips I've heard on the internet, ground-wounds seem to have a punchier attack, but almost as bright, or at-least closer to roundwounds than flatwounds. I haven't heard ground-wounds in person though. You can check out this video comparison until someone else posts.

I like the ground-wounds. I might use them for my next set of strings.

EDIT: I previously said that pressurewounds are another synonym, but michael_t corrected me.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    petch and justaguyfromkc like this.
  4. "Half-round" and "groundwound" are synonymous; "pressurewound" is NOT.

K2ELzdyx8nsfu281jXgN9WojmxrRX6xM5zCqhp0XE5MoRqvlgeSlcW490TnCk1CE3SU9O4Q6tc7ah_7dpHg=w357-h400-no.
    Pressurewounds = semi-rounds = Round-ish both in tone and feel, except with more punch and crunch with no zing.
    Half-rounds (ie groundwounds) = semi-flats = Flatwound tone and feel with some brightness added.

5. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    No and no
    If you want a smooth finish, try DRs's

justaguyfromkc likes this.
  6. I thought that half-rounds were groundwounds on the top and still roundwound on the pickup side.

I will try those Ernie Ball Cobalt flats. They look like what I was looking for. Hopefully the string tension is fairly high like the Jazz Bass 77s. I couldn't find a string tension chart for EBs. Thanks for the suggestion and information!

7. I don't use the EB Cobalt Flats myself, but based on what I've been reading, they're "medium-light" on the flatwound stiffness scale. So, you might want to try one of the heavier sets. (And no, EB does not publish tension info anywhere.)

Ernie Ball Cobalt Slinky Flatwound Bass Strings from Bass Strings Online

justaguyfromkc likes this.
  8. I can get my half-rounds to growl simply by EQ'ing on bass (P/J's) and amp or mixer.

I can do this with all the types of strings I've ever tried so far..

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  9. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I agree, although I don't use flats. I discovered when I set my truss rod to make my neck almost straight, I could dig in a little with my plucking fingers and get instant growl.

10. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    Have you tried Ernie Ball Cobalt's yet? They seem to be a nice compromise:

11. I'm trying to make sense of this statement. Are you saying you thought half-rounds were like this?

weird-half-round.

If so... no, they're not. Not at all. Instead, as the image in an earlier comment showed, they're roundwounds that have been ground flat on the outside. They're half-round because the cross-section of the winding is semi-circular, with the flat side on the outside of the string and the round part hidden inside, whereas on a traditional flatwound string the winding is a flat ribbon, flat both inside and out.

12. Electric-Gecko

Electric-Gecko

Dec 19, 2017
    Thank you. I didn't realize this. The Wikipedia page doesn't make this clear.

13. By the way, "pressurewound" and "rollerwound" are synonymous. I call it "ovalwound" :D

fsL4lmgs9YPJh5Kqw9n335RZv4JtIRyYJmTFzkZci0JZVa9RqhEfotLjOalMQsuCk3RQiu6X9WXnLkmRFSc=w450-h449-no.

14. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    The PWs are a great string. One I will never be without. Kind of a wonder string! They are very punchy, sound more like a round without most of the string/finger noise. They have more mids than virtually all rounds and still have a hefty bottom. They sound great with a pick without being overly clicky sounding. Just enough for definition.

The Cobalts are more of a unique flat sound. Not as much mid punch as the PWs, but has good lows and highs similar to some rounds. I've found in a live setting the Cobalts sound kind of similar to the PWs in some ways.

michael_t likes this.