Do hand grips improve endurance?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ichNinja, Dec 27, 2015.

1. ichNinja

ichNinja

Nov 17, 2014
    So I was given the pictured hand grips for Christmas and I'm just wondering what kind of effect it will have on my technique and endurance. Will it improve my endurance but cost me some technique? Will out have no effect? What kind of outcome will I get? Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    My advice is to avoid these devices at all costs. Gripping has no part in bass playing. Beginners are being constantly advised NOT to grip the neck of the bass, but to keep the hand(s) relaxed. It only takes a minimal amount of pressure to press down on the string and make it sound clear. The strength required to do this is naturally with us from an early age. In bass playing it is the opposite of grip..i.e the lifting of the fingers off of the frets... that we need to concentrate on. Dexterity and stamina are what's required...not grip strength.

Endurance... (like training to run in a marathon).. is best achieved by playing for short periods of time at first, then gradually increasing that time in small increments.

Bottom line...from a bass playing aspect...throw that grip device in the trash can. ;)

3. CGremlin

CGremlin

Nov 1, 2014
    Palm Bay, FL
    I don't think the grips will do a lot of good for you since they're not really exercising the muscles you're using to play. Best thing I've found for building endurance (aside from boring exercises/etudes) is Joe Jackson's "Steppin' Out". It's a really simple eighth-note rhythm, but there aren't any rests and the constant octave jumps require some dexterity and a fair bit of stamina in both hands.

amusicalperson likes this.
  4. TheBass

TheBass

Jul 2, 2004
    Germany
    You want to improve your playing endurance ? Play !

Lownote38 and fearceol like this.
  5. CatSquare

CatSquare

Mar 7, 2014
    If the string isn't gouging the fingerboard, it's not fretted hard enough. You want the neck to fear your fretting hand.

6. LOVE that song! :D

CGremlin likes this.
  7. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    :D This would seem to be the way that some beginners approach fretting. It's not really their fault. They simply have not taken the time to check out just how little pressure (i.e... strength) is required.

OP...check out this clip :

8. Say what.....????

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Yes, if you would like carpal tunnel syndrome and a lifetime of surgeries on your arm, this is the quickest way to get it.

Geri O, Orangeclawhammr and fearceol like this.
  10. I've used hand grips but I can't really say if it has helped or hurt anything. I used it more for keeping up hand strength because I was frequently swinging machetes and sledge hammers for extended periods of time and wanted to keep my strength up. Nothing worse than working on a survey cut line and losing your grip on your machete and launching it into your partners leg or worse. They get mad sometimes. But as far as using it to help build up strength for playing, you shouldn't be using a lot of strength. You should be as relaxed as possible. I do have a a type of hand grip that has seperate buttons for each finger, but its more to help you isolate fingers from one another. Sometimes fingers don't like to move separately from one another, and that device is supposed top help. But it's not a necessity. Learn to relax while you play and that will take you further than any device on the market believe me.

11. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    The only thing that will help is playing your bass.