do hartke heads die?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by litclicker, Jun 16, 2005.

1. litclicker

Jun 16, 2005
    ive had a 3500 head for 2 years, love it, have had no problems. so about a month ago im talking to another bass player who says he has heard from a few people that their hartke heads just stopped working/died etc. soon after and for the past 5 or 6 gigs my sound just completely dies for a few minutes but comes back even through the direct out. i tested everything cables/basses etc. its got to be the head. anyone else have or hear of these problems. im about to go out and buy another, but dont want to spend the money if i dont have to.
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Hartke's have been notorious for cold and loose solder connections. I wouldn't replace it, just take it to a qualified tech and have EVERY internal solder checked and repaired, it should work just fine after that, unless there's some other anomalous problem occurring.
  3. Doesnt that head have a tube in the pre section ?

it could be that thats gone ?
  4. I had some issues with mine (the 1400 one) with the speaker jack. It would come loose and fall out. Probly due to the fact they used a plastic nut to hold it on. I do remember I had one other issue with it. Think it was something to do with one of the solder connections. Oh well, its not mine anymore, my younger brother inherited it. (Not that he really has any interest in it)
  5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The 3500 has a thermal breaker that will kill the output if you overcrank the amp, resetting after it cools down. Even hard transients can trip it, so try setting the limiter a bit higher. If the output of the direct out dies also then it's something else.