1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do I ask my last band to change beginning of song??

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by krdavis32, Jun 27, 2012.

1. krdavis32

krdavis32

Nov 12, 2011
    ok, last band was a bit of rock and heavy blues. Now I'm back playing in a semi Prog band. a song was lacking a beginning so I whipped out a riff I'd been sitting on for a long time. When I was playing it for new band, guitarist and drummer loved it and now are developing it. So.....do I ask old band if they can drop or change the intro?

2. puddin tame

puddin tame

Aug 14, 2010
    this is why i'm careful with the musicians/bands I offer my ideas to. I'm not going to give out my best riffs to someone else's songs, even if i'm their bass player.

Depends on if they're good dudes or not and if you're on good terms. I left a band on bad terms, got screwed over by the guitar player in a pretty bad way, so out of spite I wrote a song in my new band racking one of his riffs (though I did improve it to rock about 5 times harder than when he played it!)

3. Moloch666

Moloch666

Apr 22, 2012
    I would.

However, if they decline and they're earning money from your riff, ask for your cut.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It's hardly anything to get worked up about unless the song becomes a hit, which is only slightly harder than winning lotto and getting hit by lightning on the same day.

5. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    :)

6. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    Metallica - Four Horsemen
    Megadeth - Mechanix

7. krdavis32

krdavis32

Nov 12, 2011
    "It's hardly anything to get worked up about unless the song becomes a hit, which is only slightly harder than winning lotto and getting hit by lightning on the same day"

Point taken. Neither band will be cracking the top 100...ever!!

8. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Slightly less obvious is Call of Ktulu and Hangar 18.

9. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Kind of a disconnect here. How can you be sitting on a riff that's already been used by another band. However, I really don't see a problem. How about working on a few new riffs for future use?

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Why bother?

11. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

Jan 19, 2008
    Don't ask them to change anything. It's your riff, you can take it wherever you want to. However, you used it to help them write a song, they can now use it for that song whenever they like, because it's now part of the song. Don't get upset or territorial, it's just music.