1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do I buy up or do I buy down?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by d rick man, Jan 10, 2019.

1. d rick man

d rick man

Jun 28, 2016
    I have a dilemma. I'm on the fence. I'm in the market for second bass. But here is my problem. I play an early model Rickenbacker. Its going to be heard to beat. I'm so use to it, I don't know if I would be happy with another expensive bass like an Ernie ball or Ibanez or Gretsch. I don't know if I can justify spending $1500 to $1800... when what I really want is a Switch. A friend of mine has a Switch Vibracell he paid $250.00 for. He don't want to sale it. But I really love it. The neck fells a lot like the rick. I love the thumb holes and I think it is a really cool looking bass. I could be happy with that and not spend a bunch of money. Second problem is I can't find anyone that has one for sale. If anybody know someone or a website that has one for sale let me know.

Maybe I can settle for an Ibanez. Its neck fills closest to a rick. I guess I'm all about the neck, as you can tell. But the switch would be my first choice, its just so cool looking and it sounds pretty good too. Oh well, let me know what ya'll think.

2. d rick man

d rick man

Jun 28, 2016
    Sorry "buy" not bye. guess I will get picked on for that one. But still, what do you think. Should I hold out to see if i can find a Switch or go ahead an buy the more expensive one?

3. shaggy45

shaggy45 Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Georgia
    If the switch is really what you want, then wait. Set eBay alerts and a reverb feed and google alerts until one pops up. It’s what you want and you’ll save a lot of money.

4. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    now I want a Switch! lol go for it, I'll keep an eye out for you until I'm ready to get one too

5. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    Speech to text?

RichSnyder likes this.
  6. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    buy what you like

7. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    You can edit that, just FYI.

RichSnyder and gebass6 like this.
  8. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Depends on how badly you need a second bass.
    You might have to wait for quite some time before you find a Vibracell...you might have to wait even longer before you find a good one.
    Plenty of good basses out there for $300 to $500. You don't have to spend $1,500 to get something you can be happy with.

9. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    After you BUY a new bass, you'll need to say BYE to your old bass, which you can do BY getting someone else to BUY it.

#EnglishIsFun

wmmj, saabfender, Kickdrum and 9 others like this.
  10. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    Maybe you have a cheaper bass you take to certain gigs.

11. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    Me think you bye Switch if really lik. If you patent I'm sure yu can find won.

lermgalieu and FugaziBomb like this.
  12. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
  13. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I don't see the point of buying a bass to be a backup, one that you'll hardly ever play. Even buying a cheap bass would be a waste of money IMO.

I would try to find another bass that is even better than your current bass. Then your current bass can be the backup.

TN WOODMAN and Aaron Houts like this.
  14. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    A couple of thoughts:

1. Why do you want/need a second bass, especially since it seems you just want exactly what you already have?
    2. There is more to a bass than just the neck. It sounds like as long as you get a neck like your Ric, nothing else matters.

First, find the answer to #1. Then determine the max you will spend, and start playing basses until one speaks to you. Or just save up and get another Ric.

wmmj likes this.
  15. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA

Goooooooooooooood morning! I have a little bit of grammar OCD (especially before I've had my morning coffee). I took the liberty of fixing up a few things for you (via parenthetical phrases). :D

I let the small stuff slide.

It's my problem.

*sigh*

I feel better now.

grinch.

Best of luck with your bass search.

RichSnyder, Ghastly and Malak the Mad like this.
  16. First off, thank you. I feel much better with the corrections posted.

But “per say”? It’s “per se”. Maybe an auto-correct flub?

More importantly, never tell anyone the Oxford comma is optional! That’s something worth changing. It shouldn’t be optional. I care more about the Oxford comma than P vs J, flats vs rounds, and certainly more than tort/no tort.

:D;):thumbsup::bassist:

17. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yes, my dumb thumbs got "corrected" by the eye in the sky. :D (As a humbling little bit of comeuppance, I'll leave it that way. A little knocking off one's high horse is good for the soul. :cool:)

I agree with you. The Oxford comma should be required. When you and I become co-kings, it shall be so! Until such time, we are forced to deal with this "evolution" that is being force on us by the masses. The watering down of English is a foregone conclusion, I'm afraid. There are more of these people than there are of us. -----> drool

:laugh:

npbassman and Malak the Mad like this.
  18. This year, 2019, was when Blade Runner supposedly took place. No flying cars, sentient human-like robots, or mining of the moons of Saturn. But neither English nor LA are in as bad shape as the movie/book predicted, either. We’ll hold the line as best we can! I don’t think the whole “king” thing is coming through for us.

19. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Do I bye up or do I bye down?
    ...I usually bye bye...

20. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri

saabfender and HolmeBass like this.