1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do I Do transcription in BP mag

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ugly_bassplayer, May 11, 2010.

1. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    This month's transcription is Do I Do by Stevie Wonder, bassline by the great Nathan Watts.

ok here's my problem,

-Mr Watts tunes down a half step on all strings (Eb, Ab, Db & Gb) & played this on a 4 string back in the day
    -BP mag has the standard notation in Bmaj (like it sounds) & not in C maj like it was played on a dropped 4 string.
    -You can't play the low Eb on a standard 4 string in standard tuning.
    -Whats even worse (IMO tabs are the garbage anyway), the freakin tab is written using the fingerings of a tuned down bass.

(I hope am clear in my explanation)

How freakin dumb is that. I mean that is IMO a major problem.

2. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Here are the options
    Play it as written using tabs and you will be in C (provided you do not detune your bass)
    Take the notated version and transpose 1/2 step and you will be in C (playable on 4 string standard tuning)
    Play notated version as written with a 5 string bass and you are golden.
    Those are your choices

3. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Exactly my point,

-Standard notation in Bmaj (as heard)
    -Tab in C (like played on dropped tuned 4 string)

= cluster %?&#

IMO if the song was played on a drop tuned bass , the transcription should be as well.

But I get why they wrote it as heard in Bmaj.

4. wade_b

wade_b

Jul 8, 2008
    That actually makes sense to me - they're targetting two different audiences with the notation and the tab.

They probably figure if you're schooled enough to read notation, you're also smart enough to come up with your own fingerings.

Conversely, if you have to rely on the tab - you're more likely to tune down and "paint by the numbers".

Makes sense to me.