Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do i get this or get one built?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jan 28, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

2. it seems like that ebay bass is extremely similar to what you wanted...i'd go for that one, since it will be a bit cheaper than having dolan build one...

3. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    hmmm...I would say go with that one first. It's a great price and I personally really like it. Then, later on, in you like it, you can spend the extra money and get the custom one. That thisn gis sweet though.

4. MAJOR METAL

I think i am going to go for it. :hyper:

5. MyDogBo

MyDogBo

Aug 25, 2002
    LA
    ummm ... Rick Turner would be the guy to do something like that one ...

6. MAJOR METAL

I have been thinking about it and if i get it the pick guard comes off.

7. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Univox made some funky violin basses that could probably be had for pretty cheap.

8. MAJOR METAL

Do you think the price is to high?.

9. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    I would pay $275 (current price), especially if it is in great condition. My idea is that the Univox basses are always on the Bay and if this green one gets too pricey, you have other options for a violin bass.

10. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I had one of the vox ones for a while, It's not really my thing. This one looks way more solid than the vox ones. That bridge especially. Don't expect to find a vox in that good of condition for cheap either. I sold my vox, which was basically in pieces, for 300. The vox I had was the wyman bass.

11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Depends on what you want and are willing to spend. It's probably worth $275, but I very much doubt whether it would be nearly as good as a custom bass made by someone like Michael Dolan. Less money, less quality, is my guess in this instance, but if that's OK with you for now, then definitely go for it.

12. MAJOR METAL

The plan was i was going to have Michael Dolan build me one of these http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=13701 to my specs in greenburst and i was going to add F holes and have it compltely hollow.This bass is pretty cool but not exactly what i was going to have built for me.I have been getting into alot of Acoustic jams and these basses are great for that, i would take one of these over a acoustic bass guitar for an acoustic set any day.

13. MAJOR METAL

Maybe i will just go for what i really wanted in the first place, i will follow the bidding and see how it goes.

14. At under $300 (as I type this), don't even hesitate.

At least I wouldn't if the money isn't a big issue. I know you've been g.a.s.-ing for that kind of bass for a while.

15. snake

snake

Jul 21, 2004
    Aurora. CO
    For the most part this looks like a Teisco bass, save the cutaway. The same pickups and bridge. I bought one from ebay about a year and a half age for 200.00 It was a sentimental purchase. It's a Teisco FB-1. If you like it buy it. the tone may not be what the newer basses are, but if you feel froggy jump!

Attached Files:

16. MAJOR METAL

Good Point.

17. I'd suggest getting it to get an idea of the tone and feel of such a bass. What if it really isn't your thing? You can always sell it for around the same price you bought it, while a new custom by Dolan would cost much more and sell for much less down the line. And if you do like it, you can get Dolan to build you one and maybe overcome some of the deficits of this bass (through pickup selection, wood selection, etc).

18. MAJOR METAL

True, i have several of the 60's-70's violin basses and the one Dolan would build me would be based on the design of this one http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=13701 i own this bass and i have an idea of what specs i would want Dolan to use.

19. MAJOR METAL

7 hours to go, i got some thinking to do.

20. MAJOR METAL

It went much higher then i thoght so i didint bid.