Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

do i got the funk?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mans0n, Aug 26, 2002.

1. mans0n

mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    ok.. ive been playing bass for 9 months.. i recorded this lel .. thing.. and i wanted to hear some opinions about it.. ami... funky? does this sound terribly cliche? etc.. whatever...

excuse the lack of rhythm! im still working on that... and im a white suburban guy.. so that doesnt help hehe ;-)

file size is 767 kB

http://www.depressing.org/mans0nfunk.mp3

2. Sounds alright. Still needs work but for only nine months that was pretty good.

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    nope, you ain't got the funk.

At least, not yet. Funk is rhythm. Keep working, and keep listening. It will come.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Keep practicing, mans0n. Sounds better than I did at 9 months, but I had never even heard of funk at 9 months.

Also, funk isn't just about slap, either. Check out Rocco Prestia with Tower of Power, or James Jamerson on old Motown recordings. That is serious funk, with no slap at all.

5. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Damm, that was the first thing i thought of right after i listened to it, so then i was going to post that, but it was already there.

6. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I wasn't able to hear it.

:(

7. Nice nice nice..... sound better slapping than I did at 9 months. Of course, I didn't even slap until I had been playing for a year and a half. And I learned on a fretless. Heh.

Keep up a steady rhythm, and you'll have good slap down.

Actually, instead of taking a few seconds to soak in my post, re-read Embellishers.

'What is Hip' and 'Funkifize' are two tracks I really dig of Tower of Power.

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

That's kind of like saying, "do i got the dunk?....excuse the lack of jumping ability", isn't it?

9. Heya mans0n,

I applaud your attempt at funk. I think you have a ways to go, but that's not to say you're not playing well. The question is, are you plaing as best as you can, and are you playing better now than you were, say, a month ago? That's the true measure of progress, and if you can answer yes to both questions, and strive to play better in a months time, you're well on your way to becoming an accomplished bassist. Tell you what - practice the bassline you posted and try to perfect it - get some groove going and pay attention to timing (rhythm). Post another mp3 of the same bassline in say, 2 weeks. I'd love to listen to it again then.

Keep it up!

Xavier

10. mans0n

mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    I appreciate all the comments from everyone... it is encouraging to read them

I think that I will do what Xavier suggested.....

11. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    It also might help to remember that all of us were there at one point or another. Give yourself plenty of room (and permission) to make mistakes. Everyone has their own path.

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    when was the last time you showered?

then I'll tell you if you got the funk.

:D

13. mans0n

mans0n

Jun 15, 2002

I am so funky I shower with bleech and still come out funky ;-x

14. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, i wouldn't say that, mans0n...don't worry. i've been playing for 10 years and the feel still eludes me. that's why i stick to rock and metal...and play to funk albums in my room where no one can hear me ;)

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Fieldy's got nothing on you, man.

16. mans0n

mans0n

Jun 15, 2002

what is a Fieldy? should I know who they are?

i dont =)

17. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    I hope you never know!!!! Fieldy is a strange cat. Not in the funk department as far as I've heard.

Your slap line sounded good. Keep working on rhythm. Every thought of investing in a drum machine. Now these things will not make you funky but will help you with timing and rhythm. Or a metronome(is that the right spelling:confused: ) will help as well. Bootsy got the funk!! James got the funk!! Keep listening and playing. You'll get there.

18. You want a reference for some greasy funk, try the Meters, with George Porter, Jr. Man!

So there you go.

19. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    yea...the meters are awesome.
    also check out maceo parker...thats some funky stuff