Do I have a bass or amp problem?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jellybass, Feb 28, 2005.

1. jellybass

jellybass Guest

Nov 8, 2004
    I need help. I have an active bass, which I am and am not a big fan of at the same time. Anyway, I am experiencing a problem that I don't know if my bass is the problem or if it is my amp. Occassionally, my amp sends out a sound that is best described as, I apologize, farting. Now I don't know if this is as a result of the battery failing or the amp's speaker torn. Anyone have any idea of where my problem lies? Thanks.
  2. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    If you wanna find out if it's a bass/amp problem, find out if you can get it to do it with the bass AND WIRE disconnected first... then try a different wire and/or bass.

Could be a jack on the bass or the amp, or even just the cord, too. Try a passive bass, as well.

The thing about active basses is, they use a stereo jack so that physically plugging in the cord actually turns on the preamp, so there's a lot of possibilities on the bass end (jack, preamp, battery, wire solder joints on the jack, etc.) if you verify it ONLY happens with the bass connected, and especially if it's only THAT bass.

As a side note, because of this "feature" of active bass electronics design, you can make a plug you can use to check your battery voltage, as well.

Main thing is, you won't be able to figure it out unless you only change one thing in the chain at a time.

Hope this helps.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sounds like a loose jack or cable.
  4. jellybass

jellybass Guest

Nov 8, 2004
    Thanks, I appreciate the help.