Do i have a chance???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassPlayerGush, Jan 3, 2002.

1. BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    I'm trying to find some old vintage bass equipment. I dont know why, i just think older guitar equipment is a lot cooler and sometimes better sounding then new stuff. particularly, and old fender p or j bass. i was thinking about taking a trip to NYC to check out those guitar shops, but then i was later told that they charge an arm and a leg for anything old there. i'm also afraid to buy a bass or equipment from places such as, i have a fetish to physically see the equipment (or play if possible) before i would purchase it.
    i was told a good place to look for vintage basses and equipment are at yard or garage sales. has anyone ever found anything good equipment at a yard sale for a good cost? im praying that i can find some old lady thats selling her son's 1972 p-bass for $50 that she found in the corner of her attic (doesnt have to be that year or price, just an example). DO HAVE ANY CHANCE OF COMING ACROSS A GOOD DEAL????? or am i just wasting my time? thanks
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Some pawn shops, especially in small towns, aren't too hip to what they've got. Many don't keep a blue book on hand.

Sometimes classified ads in the paper that just say "bass guitar" without mentioning the brand name because they don't know if it's good/bad/important.

Once, a guy on Talkbass put up a thread asking about a Brubaker he found at one of those shops that sells unclaimed airport luggage and cargo. He wanted to know if it was any good and if $400 was a good price. :eek:

Personally, I was always trying to find out if any big drug dealers were bassists so I could go the auctions of their assets when they got busted.
  3. BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    do you think its smart for me to put an ad in the wanted classifiedes section "looking for vintage bass guitars and equipment"?
  4. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    If they know it's vingage, then they will probably sell it at it's fair market price.

If you are looking for a deal, look for newspaper ads, garage sales and pawn shops. Don't forget that you need to be able to identify a good deal too.

Good luck.
  5. Keep your eyes open. I've found several incredible deals by just waiting and watching for the deals. The garage sale idea is good, but it takes a lot of garage sale hopping to come across a deal. Pawn shops are the same way, in my experience.

The deals are out there, but they are far and few between. Takes a lot of patience.
  6. Really small shops are your best bet. I went into a small shop in Oregon City, and found a 1950's Marshal 2x12. The guy only wanted $200 for it, cause "it's old and I don't like the sound." AAAAGGGHHH!!!!:eek: Damn, I wish that I had had the money to get it.:(

Rock on
  7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Deals are out there but it seems every day someone else gets wise to the value of vintage. My jaw drops every time I see a 60 something jazz going for $4000!!!!

My only advice is to do enough research to understand fully what you are looking at. If the seller knows more than you do, you are not very likely to get a deal. The vintage market is very complex. Even the most subtle modifications can effect cost. Finish condition and originality are huge players.

You should also be wise enough to inspect every piece of the instrument for originality. It seems, lately I see more and more of the 66 neck with the 74 body with the dimarzio pickups and this that and the other. Certainly could be a good bass anyway, but you need to study the market if you want to play in it.

Also, it helps to have cash in hand but be prepared to wait a while. You never know when the deal is going to hit.