Do I have carpal-tunnel syndrome? Or something else maybe?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stanley Design, May 8, 2003.

1. Well, I have pain in my left wrist. There is a hole and a small bump right behind it on the back of it, and it hurts to do much with it. This isn't the first time it has happened, it happened before and it only went away with some tylenol everyday and keeping the usage of it to a minimum. I'm left handed as well, and that means I use it a lot. I type a lot; practice bass for at least a couple hours everyday, releive a little tension;), etc. It also helped last time when i moved my bass from waist hieght to chest hieght, and developed a better standing position. Ever since then I have kept my playing position like that and it hasn't really bother me until the last few weeks. Ahh the bell just rang, I'll post later, help me out. Thanks.
  2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You might have a ganglion cyst. They appear as a bump on the top side of your wrist and they can cause pain. I have one on my wrist that I've had there for years. It's a small sac in your wrist that fills with fluid and no one knows what causes them. It used to cause me quite a lot of pain. I went to an orthopedic doctor once and he injected it with something (the name escapes me now...common substance) and it felt better for a good six months. After that it would hurt on and off and now it hardly ever hurts. I think mine has hardened now..I don't know if they calcify or what.

The doctor can attempt to remove the fluid if it's still in that stage but it could come back. If that doesn't work you can have surgery to have it removed. It sounds to me like this might be what you have because they can just go away and come back with no explanation. Or if you experience some hard blow to that part of your wrist it can "pop" the cyst. The liquid would drain out (on the wouldn't see it draining) but only temporarily and then the cyst would come back.

Of course this is just a guess on my part based on experience and my own previous little research on my own condition. You should see a doctor if you have the insurance to cover it.

brad cook
  3. im making an appointment today or tomorow, but ide still like to see what the rest of you have to say, i had thought it was a cist, but then i wondered why the hole too:meh: anyway thanks for the input digme
  4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Todd, it sounds to me like you may have tendonitis in your wrist. I have it chronically. Your doctor will know best. Your doctor will show you the stretches you need to know. Listen to your body, if your playing technique hurts your wrist change your playing to accomodate.

And for God's sake stop taking Tylenol!! That stuff is the worst for this kind of pain. You need to take an anti-inflammatory that will help the body heal. Tylenol is great for fevers and headaches, but for tendon and muscle aches, you need Ibuprofin, Naproxin, or Aspirin. Your doctor will tell you this.
  5. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, Ibuprofen is a well proven anti-inflammatory

Relafen [ nabumetone ] is a much stronger version of the same group of drugs, well known to those of us with knee or other joint problems.

Physician consultation is the order of the day.
    Good luck and take good care of yourself.

PS Dont cut it off unless it is the right one.
  6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I'd say something else. Doesn't sound like any of the symptoms I had.
  7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Good call Turock.

Symtoms do not suggest carpal-tunnel which I have also had.

Also, try to ease the stress on your wrist. If you gig a lot, a big factor can be the way you carry gear. Try to use the other hand for heavy stuff with stiff handles like hard cases and amps. Use gig bags which you can sling over your shoulder, that's a lot more wrist friendly than using your hand.