Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do I have replace the nut?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dreamwave, Jul 30, 2002.

1. I have a five string that I'd like to occasionally switch to the higher C-string. Would it be a problem to alternate between both sets? The bass is a Zon with a graphite nut and I'm not sure I want to keep switching nuts in order to do what I stated. Thanks.

2. Maybe yes and maybe no. Try it out and if you don't have any rattling problems I'd say you're good to go.

3. I think it depends on how the nut is cut, and how light/heavy you like your strings, and maybe a little on what kind of action you like and how hard you play. (Me guessing a bit here....) It's possible the strings will buzz a little bit with the high-C set, if the slots are really too wide for the strings, but there seems to be a fair amount of leeway to accomodate different string gauges, so it's certainly worth a try.

Mike

4. Could I get away with just tuning it to eadgc with the std 5 string set without compromising the neck?

5. Well, the tension would be a LOT higher. The Zon neck could probably handle it, but the strings would be really tight and maybe have a tendency to break unless you use a really light gauge. Consider the fact that .110 is about as heavy as you usually get for an E, while most B's are in the .125-.140 range, for instance...

Mike

6. Makes sense. I'll just try the upper set then and see what happens. Thanks.