1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do I have replace the nut?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dreamwave, Jul 30, 2002.

1. I have a five string that I'd like to occasionally switch to the higher C-string. Would it be a problem to alternate between both sets? The bass is a Zon with a graphite nut and I'm not sure I want to keep switching nuts in order to do what I stated. Thanks.

2. Maybe yes and maybe no. Try it out and if you don't have any rattling problems I'd say you're good to go.

3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I think it depends on how the nut is cut, and how light/heavy you like your strings, and maybe a little on what kind of action you like and how hard you play. (Me guessing a bit here....) It's possible the strings will buzz a little bit with the high-C set, if the slots are really too wide for the strings, but there seems to be a fair amount of leeway to accomodate different string gauges, so it's certainly worth a try.

Mike

4. Could I get away with just tuning it to eadgc with the std 5 string set without compromising the neck?

5. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Well, the tension would be a LOT higher. The Zon neck could probably handle it, but the strings would be really tight and maybe have a tendency to break unless you use a really light gauge. Consider the fact that .110 is about as heavy as you usually get for an E, while most B's are in the .125-.140 range, for instance...

Mike

6. Makes sense. I'll just try the upper set then and see what happens. Thanks.