Do I Have To Buy A New Preamp If I Get New Pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by supernaut_1, Jan 26, 2004.

1. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    this may be a dumb question but i'd like to get some emg pickups for my ibanez sr490. it has an active preamp, so does that mean i have to get an emg preamp too, or can i still use it? thanks.
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    you can still use your onboard preamp if you want. The EMG's have a preamp built into the pickups themselves. This boosts the level and applies a small eq shape.

I don't know anything about the Ibanez onboard preamps, but if you currently have passive pickups then you'll probably need to look into replacing the current volume / blend knobs with those of an impedance better suited for use with active pickups.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I wouldn't use the Ibanez preamp with EMG's..I tried the same thing and it just sounded bad. I popped out the preamp and dropped in the pots and stuff that the EMG's came with, and it sounded great. Mind you you'll have a couple extra holes to plug, but that's where you can get creative with the wiring...I put in 2 killswitches :)
  4. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    so i guess i'll just replace all the electronics with emg products. i suppose i could even mount some LEDs in the holes that would need plugging.