1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do I keep my 810?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Let It Fall, May 11, 2010.

1. Let It Fall

Let It Fall Banned

Oct 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    This is my second 810. Made in USA I picked it up a few months ago for 550$ I LOVE the sound. However:

Im not in a band
    Im unemployed and could use the cash
    Its a little excessive to take to a practice every week while I do have a band.

It just makes it into the back of my land rover discovery, with rear seats down. And I could not see me taking it to practice once a week.

Sure I could leave it at the practice space, however Id have nothing to practice on AND without actually knowing the band the first few weeks could be kinda nervous leaving my cab at a practice space..

I have in the past had
    1 avatar 2x10. Hated it.
    1 Ampeg 810 LOVED IT AS I DO THIS ONE
    1 Aguilar DB112 LOVED IT!!! Great Tone.
    1 Aguilar DB212.. Strangely I hated it.
    1 Ampeg 4x10he, didn't nessisary like it.. I forgot to mention I HATE tweeters, and rolling off the tweeter doesn't do it for me.
    And my current Ampeg 810.

Im 100% happy with the tone I get from it.
    Im not happy with moving it out of my house possibly every week. It barely makes it through door ways and hardly makes it into the back of my truck.

I have a few people intrested in buying it at 575$.

But im really split on what to do.

Love the tone hate the size.
    And with the money I have from selling it, Ill need something and there arent many options under 500$.

I regretted selling my last one and it took me a while to find this one.

But AGIAN.
    Its not practical
    I need the cash
    But it sounds amazing.

2. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    USA
    It's just stuff, and the 810 is a dime a dozen. You need the cash. As far as something a little bit more practical later on down the road, Berg NV610 will get you there in a smaller and lighter package. Not much, though.

3. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Well, it DOES make it through the doorways and it DOES make it into your vehicle. So, what is the opportunity cost of taking it to practice every week? In other words, what thing of ACTUAL MEASURABLE VALUE are you giving up by schlepping it around? If you were making $200/hour as a consultant and you were giving up 1-2 hours of billable time wrestling that thing around, then I'd say okay, you have a valid objection. But unless you can prove some MONETARY payback to reducing your haul-in/haul-out times, keep what you have. This is called "running the numbers."

4. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    +1, take the money, big heavy cabs are getting increasingly unfashionable, so picking one up later should be no problem.

5. This is just my 2 cents but I would sell it. I had an 810 I bought off one of the guys from Gwar and everybody told me to keep it; but I needed the cash; so I sold it. They are only only items. "You are not what you own". FUGAZI: bassist: Like you said man you can always get another one.

6. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    +1. If you love the Ampeg 810, the Berg NV610 is a smaller, louder, better sounding version of the classic Ampeg 810 cab.

But I think the difference is significant, given the Berg is about 100lbs and the Ampeg 810 is roughly 165lbs., that's a lot less weight to lug.

7. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Ah dammit, I'd love a bit of proper Gwar gear, was it Bishop, Todd or Casey, woulda probably been considering same cab if it was Bishop, shame about the shipping.

8. muddycreek

muddycreek

Feb 26, 2010
    Of course, you could build a sealed 210 a bit bigger than 1/4 the size of the fridge, and pull two speakers for it until you have a gig.

Or cut it in half, cap the top/bottom sections, rewire them, and get some of those twist clamp things to stick them back together when you need the whole thing.

9. R-o-D-

R-o-D-

Jan 14, 2009
    lol.

10. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    If selling off the cab you love is going to leave you with no cab for band practice then what is the point of selling it? if you can get by for awhile your need for cash may be dealt with in some other way then selling off your gear. It sounds like you really like your cab. The Berg cab is nice but it wont be cheap and other then that, not much else out there is going to give you what the ol fridge does.

Tough call but if you can keep it and deal with the weight, you won't have to worry about spending money on another cab.

11. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    My fav. cabs that I own are (2) 810E and (2) 410HLF's now if I needed to sell them I would get rid of (1) 810 E and maybe 1 hlf. In a pinch the HLF can sub for the 810E. I know what you are saying about the 810E but if you really need the $$$, then down-size by getting a used 410HE or a 410HLF its all in the Ampeg family. Also you can always pick up another 810E used when the $$$ time is right.

12. Let It Fall

Let It Fall Banned

Oct 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Ill probably decide tomorrow..

1 I would love a berg but Im not spending that kind of money. I have in the past and wont do it agian
    2 I can do without the money from the cab but it would be nice.
    3 I would then need a cab agian, and as i mentioned its hard to find a cab under 500$
    4 It IS a pain to move
    5 It does have that sound.... though it is much. I could get by with a 4x10, problem is I have never used one I like. Even the ampeg 4x10he [closest to 8x10 sound] threw me off because of the tweeter and the lack of lows.

I can always disconnect the tweeters..

13. Ah dammit, I'd love a bit of proper Gwar gear, was it Bishop, Todd or Casey, woulda probably been considering same cab if it was Bishop, shame about the shipping.

It was Todd Evans old bass cab. He was really an awesome guy I drove up to get the cab it was a bit of drive. So he took me and my fiancee to lunch. Of course in GWAR style, we went to Hooters and he was just an awesome guy.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    2, 3 and 5 say it all. keep it. doubtful you'll find a cab you like for less, and you'll just end up buying yet another one.

15. baron665

baron665

Apr 9, 2010
    Michigan
    Since you say you don't really need the money, I would have to agree with Jimmy and say keep it. But, you want a smaller cab with a similar tone. Since a Berg 6x10 is not going to be under $500, I would suggest a decent 4x10, or even 2 15s. Getting 2 cabs would be easier for transport, unless they're huge like your 810, but I'm not sure anyone sells 2 for $500. You ever think of going on craigslist and posting an ad for a trade. There are probably plenty of people who want an 8x10 and have something worth trading it for.

16. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

From what I've seen, 810's don't actually go for that much used.

17. I just picked up another 810 after stupidly trading my last 810. I won't be making that mistake again.

18. Let It Fall

Let It Fall Banned

Oct 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Sold Mine Today :(

19. Thats SAD!!!! :confused: Now what U gonna use?

20. shadow_FIX

shadow_FIX

Feb 23, 2010
    As a recent 8x10 --> 4x10 convert, I'd say sell the cab.

I was pretty much in the same situation as you. I bought my first micro head (LMIII) and cab for small stuff, and ended up selling my big SVT-4PRO. At that point it didn't make sense to have a portable head and a cab that won't fit in my car...it was an SWR Workingman's Tower 8x10. At 110lbs it's not that heavy, just too bulky and I have a small car.

Enter the Aguilar GS410. I played it at my gig last night for the first time at a medium/large venue. I can confidently say I have made a significant stride in finding the sound in my head. I was very surprised at how capable this cabinet is...very articulate, very present in the mix, and it reproduced my low B notes without flinching. On other smallish setups I've used, I have always been paranoid to do anything but lightly pluck the B string, for fear that it would overdrive the speakers. I can now confidently play it normally with no reservation.

That is my opinion and experience. If you like the sound of the 810 you'll likely enjoy the 410 as well. Might actually surprise you what they can do. It also tucked quite nicely into the back of my 92 Eclipse! :D