Do I make this bass look too small??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rllefebv, Nov 5, 2003.

1. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Okay... the guys in my country band are giving me a lot of guff for playing my Musicmaster at gigs... Never mind that I think it sounds awesome. They claim that I'm too big to be playing a 'student' bass and that it looks way too small to be taken seriously...

I mean, I know that I'm rather, uh, large-boned :D, but c'mon! Here's a coupla shots from a summer gig with my blues band, (they could care less how the bass looks!)... Too small??

and another...

What do you think??

2. mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Well it does look really small on you. But not small enough that i wouldnt play with it. Its fine in my opinion.

Michael :bassist:
  3. ryuujin

Jun 1, 2003
    Delaware, OH
    looks fine to me.
  4. MyNameIsMUD

Sep 25, 2003
    could be worse, you could be playing a cort curbow. :p
  5. jieshi

Mar 26, 2002
    i don't think u make it look small . maybe you should start considering double bass to equal up :) .
  6. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    borrow an steinberger (sp?) for a couple of weeks and then they won't complain about the size of your bass. Do you like it?, sounds good? That's all you have to worry about.

I was in a band of wannabe funksters that coulnd't play a laid back feel even if their lives depend on it that were complaining because I had sideburns and an overall "rockin' look" instead of using stupid clothes... We are talking about MUSIC.

keep groooovin'
  7. It does look a bit small..but as long as its comfortable i wouldnt care what anyone says about it
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I do think it looks too small - but I would say you shouldn't care about 'appearances'!! ;)

But looking at the picture, I would feel uncomfortable if my fingers couldn't get between the strings. I prefer wide flat necks for this reason and when I started looking at buying basses in the late 90s I found that loads of bass felt too small under my hands. It was only 5 and 6 strings that felt right.

I just don't think I would be able to play - if my fingers were as big as they look in that picture compared to the bass neck width and string spacing.

But I think it comes down to personal preference an playing style.
  9. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Are you Jessie "the body" Ventura? His twin?
    Good god man, you are one big mother!! :D

You look fine, it's your belly that makes the bass look small. :)
  10. cods

Sep 16, 2003
    i bet you can stretch from the first fret to the ninth fret on it.
  11. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Yes - it looks tiny! But if you feel comfortable playing it then so what?

12. heres when we opend for Rascal Flats.

Does this thong make me look fat :eek:[​IMG]
  13. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    1. Yes, it does look kind of small on you.
    2. But this is only due to prior expectations of what people are used to seeing.
    3. Therefor - So what?! If it sounds good and feels good, play it. Are they going to tell you you can't play guitar on that "no bass needed" song because of your physical stature? BS! If you picked up a mandolin for your acousic set, would they throw you out of the band?
    4. Seriously, half the people in the audience don't know what a bass guitar is, or that it should be larger.
  14. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    you look GOOD.

15. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Doesn't look small to me.

Granted, I owned this "student" G&L for a while, and I'm 6'3"...
  16. Jeez, I'm big enough to make my full size Jazzes look that small! :rolleyes:
  17. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    No the bass looks fine. On the other hand, the bass does make your butt look too big. LOL !
  18. First off man....dude, you are HUGE!!!!
    The bass doesn't look to small though. Tell your bandmates, it could be worse....think of how small a Student scale Tele/Strat would look!!!!
  19. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    play what you wanna play!!!! :)
  20. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    they should be thinking that they look like little gnomes compared to you!

:D ;)