do i need 2 use a bass amp??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by squizz_uk, Apr 5, 2002.

1. hi i have just got my first bass but i dont know if i need 2 use a bass amp or can i use a normal guitar amp??? and wot does and bass amp do that a guitar amp don't? can some1 plz help me thanx alot.
  2. i just made the switch from guitar to bass too. from what i have found out asking about this, a bass amp is designed to handle the lower frequencies that you won't get out of a guitar.

theoretically you could use a guitar amp but it sounds like crap vs one actually designed for bass.
  3. while no one will force you to use a bass amp, there are advantages(in slight laymans terms to help you understand, being a beginner)
    -speakers in bass amps are specifically manufactured to handle the significantly lower frequency tones put out by a bass, guitar amp speakers could be blown by the bass(in extreme situations):mad: but will most likely give significant rattle/clipping, also guitar preams/poweramps are not deigned to handle the low frequencies, also bass tones need significantly more power behind them to be heard(usually 2x what the guitar player in your band is running) and guitar amps, especially tube amps, will distort by te time they are pushed hard enough to be heard, also equilization on bass amps handles much lower frequencies than guitar amps usually do

of course there have been those great "cross-over" amps, ex: fender bassman

while a bass amp will be much more practical and easier to use, a guitar amp may be your own distinctive style, but as a beginner i would highly suggest using a bass amp

4. Nothing is preventing you from using your guitar amp for your bass, but you can kiss your speaker good-bye.
  5. ya u can. like when i practice with my band sometimes i will use one of my drummers amps so i dont have to drag one all the way over there. I use Hartke amps they are one of the only companies that makes nothing but bass products and no guitar stuff so you know the amps are goin to be good. in fact i heard that Hartke was voted best bass loudspeaker by bass player mag. i have a b-20 and a b-120 and both are great amps you just have to wait a little to play it if it was in the cold and let it warm up. other wise the tone quality i think is great. im sure i will be using Hartke all my life. the cabinats also look cool with the aluminum cones.
  6. dace

Dec 25, 2000
    sydney, australia
    like the others have said, yes u can, there's nothing to stop u if want to play it through a guitar amp. i've done that a couple of times just fooling around and vice versea with my guitar.

but generally i would highly recommend u play it through a bass amp, cos ur not gonna create a tone that u'll like. u'll just produce a sound that has no "growl".

have u ever used a really old stereo system that didn't have a sub woofer? if u listen to music through it, u'll get a really tinny flat sound. it sounds horrible. thats the sound u'll get from ur guitar amp.
  7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Get an amp designed for bass guitar. Period.
  8. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I also recommend you use a bass amp. The guitar amp will work but it may or may not have the EQ set at frequencies that will give you the tone you want. As said above, the guitar amp speaker will definetly NOT work. At some point, like when your in the middle of a show, the speaker will give out on you and you will not be a happy camper.

BUT, just between you and I, I practice at our guitar players house and he has a vintage Tube 100watt 2x12 Fender Twin and a Tube Mesa Boogie 1x12 100watt Mark IV (I think). My bass really sounds good thru both of these amps. In this case, I would not worry about the EQ. IMO, it sounds great! If it were mine, I would upgrade the speaker just to be on the safe side.
    Hmm, I wonder if 100watts will do......:rolleyes: