Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do I need a 410 cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TWISTED, Oct 11, 2002.

1. TWISTED

TWISTED Guest

Sep 8, 2002
    Perth, Australia
    I have a SWR SM400 and a SWR Triad speaker cab, which has a 15", 10" and a horn. If I was to add a 4 times 10" cabinet, would I notice a big difference in sound and volume? If so I can't afford SWR or anything of that price at the moment. Would it be worth getting a cheaper brand? (any recommendations) possibly Hartke or Peavey or waiting until I can afford better.

2. Sell your Triad and buy a high-quality 4x10. You'll be a lot louder that way.

Or, you could be prudent and buy a pair of 2x10s, and save your back the trouble.

3. sell the triad and get a peavey 4x12 ! killer lows, tight like hell and it's very cheap.

4. OsQ

OsQ

Jun 13, 2002
    here
    nowadays i have only one cab that i drag around and thats hartke 4.5xl - if thats in range u should give it a try.

punchy, sophisticated & loud - specs says that it'll go down to 30hz:eek: and your ears/chest will prove it true.

stay away from those tp & vx hartke series - crap :D

5. OH GOD THE WEIGHT OH MY BACK

6. Try a 4x8 if weight is an issue, although without a 1x15 under it the 4x8 can be a tad vicious.
    I'm a recent convert to 4x8, but, that's because i'm old and lazy:D

7. You want Loud?

SWR 400 and the Henry 8x8 are made for each other.

8. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Ok, I've held off for a while but...

Why does everyone always whine about weight of equipment? No offense Peter but don't you bass players have fellow drummers/guitarist/singers to help?

My guitarist has an EV loaded H&K 4x12 guitar cab that's REALLY heavy but it sounds great so I don't mind helping him get it loaded in/out. Same with my stuff.

9. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Yes, you need a 4X10. You will notice the difference....especially if you are trying to cut through a band. I would also lose the triad and put all your wattage into the 4X10.

10. Each of my 1x15 subs is about 130 pounds and my rack is currently 79 pounds. This is all I can manage unassisted. Stairs... oh yuck... haven't had to do stairs yet. In my band, everybody handles their own gear.

I'm breaking all my gear into smaller groupings for ease of unassisted load-out. Multiple cabs also makes for much more flexibility. I can take four subs to an outdoor gig, and only one to a quiet indoor venue. Intimate club owners get nervous when they see gear the size of Marshall stacks.

:D

11. 1. Drums are pretty light, and usually all 3/4/5 people help carry them.

2. Guitar cabinets are very light as well. I'm serious--while a 4x12 with EVs might be heavier than the average Celestion-equipped box, it's nothing compared to an Eden or Trace 4x10. I can carry a pair of Vintage 30-loaded 4x12s if need be, one in each hand. That ain't heavy.

Now, a 100-pound (or in the case of the Peavey 4x12, 120-pound cabinet is heavy, and bulky, and a bitch to get up and down stairs.

Furthermore, you wouldn't need that kind of volume on stage if everyone played with reasonable dynamics. I refuse to play with drummers who can't lay back on the snare--in the various unsuccessful bands I've been in, there have been some who were fired because they drowned out everyone! I'm a firm believer in keeping stage volume relatively low, getting and using a PA, and not just for vocals.

12. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    You fired drummers for being too over the top on the snare? Wow, I think we're a lot different then. That's cool though.

We usually have crappy PAs so our stage volume has got to be up.

Sorry to pull this post off target. I will be quiet now.

13. I'd like to think that I won't need to turn the TV to a channel of static and crank it up all the way in order to go to sleep when I'm 40, a la Bob Mould.