1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do I need a Bassdriver DI??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Havard74, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Havard74

Havard74

May 14, 2008
    I have a Warwick Thumb 5 with the standard J-PU's and bass/treble EQ-controls. I'm searching for the perfect tone, and think I am quite close.

I've downsized from preamps and effect processors as the seemed to make the sound muddy. Now, the main chain goes trough an EQ-pedal, a Punch Factory and a Xciter and then straight into the PA-system. I'm actualy happy with the sound, but I always try to improve.

I'm looking for some advice here. Will the Bassdriver DI most likely improve my sound or just mess it up again?

2. depends

3. Havard74

Havard74

May 14, 2008
    Do you own a warwick. I turn up all controls aswell and tilt the pickup balance about 1/5 to the bridge PU.

4. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    I actually own a Warwick and a BDDI.

Generally Warwicks have a very midrangy sound, and the only problem with the BDDI is that I kind of cuts the mids(IME) which isn't very condusive to the wicks tone. However, if you're going for earth shaking lows, this might work then.

I love the overdrive on the BDDI but I don't have it on much because in a live mix, it just doesn't cut through due to the mids. I still keep it because it is one of the best DI's on the market.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask me if you have any more specifics.:)

5. Earthday

Earthday

Sep 22, 2005
    New Hampshire
    It depends on what your idea of "improve your sound" is. Everyone has different opinions on "good tone", and the BDDI can do a lot of different things to your sound.

It will definitely add versatility. If you want any sort of overdrive, the BDDI will give you that option. If you like a tube amp sound, you'll love what the tube amp emulation circuitry does.

The only way you'll really know is to try. I'd buy one used for a good price and just sell it back if you don't like it. To me, it sounds like a great addition to those pedals. If you use it the way I do, you'll get more warmth, grit, and bite.

6. Havard74

Havard74

May 14, 2008
    I think my suspicions are confirmed. I don't need it. As I said earlier, I'm trying to keep it simple. It's hard to force the bass into something it isn't...

I'll go for the natural clearity of the bass, and keep the mids as they are.

I'm just curious. How to you set your tone controls and PU balance? I usually turn it all up, and reduce the bass on songs with lots of notes per bar.

H.

7. Earthday

Earthday

Sep 22, 2005
    New Hampshire
    I have no personal experience with the bass exciter, but from what I hear about it it boosts the lows quite a bit. If that's true, I would imagine you could keep the bass on the BDDI low and actually get a mid boost out of it. The EQ pedal would help that cause as well. You would definitely have to retweak everything if you add the BDDI to your chain.

8. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    Well, I have the FNA Jazzman and I usually keep the pickup on the backpickup and have the treble cut with lows and mids boosted a bit. I play pretty near to the bridge, which is where IMHO the Warwick sounds best(due to the midrange growl)
    :)

9. Havard74

Havard74

May 14, 2008
    Actually, it doesn't boost the lows that much. More like a descrete loudnes. I love the way it's working on the mid and higher frequences. Chec out the aphex web page. Good democlip there.

10. Havard74

Havard74

May 14, 2008
    Seems like you have more knobs than me :). As they say: It's all in the fingers. That's my experience anyway.

11. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    Yup, I agree. Good luck with your search for tone, I know I'm still on the path.:smug:

12. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    well, do you like the sound of a bass driver di..?

then get one..

listen to samples / try and test one.