1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do i need a bigger amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Figjam, Apr 25, 2004.

  1. Figjam


    Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I currently have an Ampeg B100r 100 watt combo amp. I play in a 3 piece band (only one guitarist). The amp is certainly fine for practicing with my band. My question is that if we start gigging (we dont have a singer as of now really....) will i need a bigger amp or should we save for a PA system,, or do most venues supply amps for you to use (if its a small venue that commonly hosts high school bands) or is it ok to rent gear for each gig?
    I was thinking of getting a Gallien Krueger 800rb and a Avatar B212 to get 300 watts. My question is basically do i need it yet, or should i start saving for a car? :-/
  2. Mike Money

    Mike Money Banned

    Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

    I was at GC... a GK 1001RB 210 combo with a GK 410.... it was bonerific.... go on ebay, and see if you can get that set up.... tons of bottom man.... it rules.

    and in answer to your question...

  3. Fretless5verfan


    Jan 17, 2002
    I agree.

    I'm in the same situation you are in basically. i'm saving up for a bigger and better rig cause my combo sounds good for pratice, but if we play anywhere bigger that my basement the bass is just not there at all. Renting will cost you more in the long run, but if you're lucky you might get a PA some places. I haven't been that lucky so far though :(
  4. Scott D

    Scott D

    Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    The rig you have there sounds good. The GK 800RB is a great head and should last awhile. I think for cabs, go better, but used. If you are looking to save money, it might make sense to throw more down at first. I would have saved a ton of money if I would have bought my Eden 4x10 earlier on... Just get a job, and stash your cash, and get something really awesome.
  5. 800RB for 300 Watts? A 400RB will give you 280. Anyhow figure out your budget, and research your options, bang for buck....but yes....if you are going to start gigging you will need a little bigger setup and be sure to get something with an XLR line out. The sound techs will love you for it!!
  6. Figjam


    Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The 800rb is 300 out of one cab. The 100 watt other channel can boost it to 400 total.

    ^^Also i have considered used cabs. What are som good 2 x 12's?
  7. bandkindbass


    Feb 13, 2003
    Oslo, Norway
    If the venue has a PA, your combo can do the job without any problem. I often work as a sound engineer, and i prefer that the band play at a moderate volume at stage, then I get the control over how everything sound in the rest of the room.

    If you play at venues without PA, you might need something bigger. I think that the only places without PA is small pubs, and there you don't need more than a 100w combo to be heard.

    Do you guys play at big venues without PA?

    and, yes we soundtechs like bassplayers with an direct out...
  8. :eek:

    Oh...I didnt realize. I had only played the 400rb and I guess I was thinking the 800 had lots more power than it does.
  9. Figjam


    Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    We havent played in any venues or anything as of now, but i know where we will play when we do.. and it ould be a small thing about the size of a large bar. Probably could use a 300 watt thing w/o a PA.
  10. tkarter


    Jan 1, 2003
    I currently play a 300 watt Laney into my Ampeg cabs. Got all the sound I need to play with 4 guitars that are loud. Now I have a neice that is learning to play. She is using a 100 watt Fender combo and at this weekend's gig I let her play solo. That 100 watter hung in there without the PA and was loud outdoors even.

    I would suggest your band get a PA makes sense to me to add vocals and a mic to the amp that needs it.

    Just my thoughts on the matter. I really don't think 300 watts is that much louder than a 100 at a gig either. Gonna get loud get a 1000 watts or more.

  11. Fretless5verfan


    Jan 17, 2002
    is the laney tube or ss?
  12. tkarter


    Jan 1, 2003
    SS it is a Laney RBH 800 head and I play it into an ampeg svt 2x10 and an ampeg svt 115. Love that set up!!

    It gets loud but I don't have to play it any louder than that 100 Fender my neice uses. We get big open spaces to play in most of the time outside venue stuff. We have all kinds of sound gear as well so I can always get more when needed. Just haven't needed it. Those ampegs kick the bass out front real hard.

  13. Fretless5verfan


    Jan 17, 2002
    Kicka$$ man. It's always good to hear about someone finding thier sound...and actually getting it out to the audience :bassist:
  14. If you'll be playing in bars, coffee houses, and the like you'll either have enough volume or they'll have a pa they can run you through. If you're going to be playing at DIY punk shows and stuff you'll need a bigger amp. Most shows like that only use PA for vocals and sometimes the kick drum.
  15. rickbass

    rickbass Supporting Member

    If you have to ask, "Do I need a bigger amp ?", that means, "Yes. You do."

    Personally, I don't think the "problem" is your `Peg 8x10. I think your ear just might be more appreciative of what some 15"s can do for your sound.
    I use SVT rentals all the time on the road, but they don't put out nearly the pure bass of my home rig - Edens hooked up to my QSC PLX. The SVT just can't get the "BIG" sound of 15"s, for my taste.
  16. BillyB_from_LZ

    BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

    Sep 7, 2000
    I owned a B100R for a brief while (29 days) but returned it because I didn't think it was very loud. Turns out my bass at the time was really weak.

    A bigger amp would probably serve you well. Instead of an 800RB, I'd choose a 1001RB because I like the variable contour control and the 4/5 string bass switch that the 1001RB has and the 800RB doesn't. The 1001RB will still do 800RB tone, but you have more flexibility.

    One last comment. If the band is buying the PA, I strongly recommend that each member wholly own parts of it rather than community ownership of the whole thing. Then, when the band breaks up, it's a lot easier to know what's happening with the PA than if you have to buy someone out, or sell it all quick at a tremendous loss to raise cash.
  17. Nagrom


    Mar 21, 2004
    Western Canada
    I'd say get the PA. Then you can get a singer & rehearse properly. And you can play wherever you like that will hire you.
    There's lots of small 8 channel boards (Yorkville for instance) that aren't that expensive and a pair of 1x12 boxes for the front and a monitor or two. Then you can DI your bass through everything for more volume; if the room already has a PA then less stuff to bring or use it just for monitor. We've been doing this for years now. I bought the PA on my own and rent it out to other guys from time to time. Of course, you'll quickly need a car to haul it around...
  18. Artisan


    Apr 14, 2004
    I love "the big bass sound" and I have the amps to prove it.

    However, looking at things realistically, your little Ampeg B100R (I just bought one used) puts out a high quality sound and in respectable amounts. I would keep it.

    Ask the band to lower their volume to match your volume, if you find that you are being buried. The audience and your ears will love you for it. You will discover that you will be asked back to play for pay again and again. I'm assuming that this is one of your band's goals. It is the easiest way to grow, stay sharp and generate new equipment revenue. It also gives you and your band members the one thing that all musicians needs lots of - experience.

    As others have said, put your money into buying sound reinforcement components with separate, distinct pieces of equipment being owned by individual members. Your band will grow and prosper and you will retain your hearing ability.

    Incidentally, there is no reason why you cannot acquire used cabinets and a used stereo power amp and drive them from the appropriate output of your Ampeg B100R, should the need arise. This same gear can be used to augment your sound system, so it can do double duty.

  19. Ty McNeely

    Ty McNeely

    Mar 27, 2000
    I know anything with the name Eden on it is good, and Justyn has an Eden 2x12 for sale over in the "For Sale" section :D

    My only advice is either buy a rig where you can switch out components and upgrade as needed, or just SAVE for a really good rig to begin with. Don't buy something unless it's what you want. In other words, don't settle for something. At least be content with what you're getting before you buy it and don't just go out and snatch up the first thing you see.