Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do i need a bridge ground on a prewired bart preamp?>

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Crimsonghost_07, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Crimsonghost_07

Crimsonghost_07

Sep 17, 2003
    Hi there guys, i just installed a prewired HR 3.3 in a bass im building, I ran both pickup grounds and added a bridge ground directly to the output jack ground, this includes the preamp ground and ground from the pots.

Do i have a ground loop here since the pots already have a ground wired thru all of them? should i take the bridge ground off?

Im getting alot of hum..

Thanks!
    Jason

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

What manufacture of pups, active or passive, and are they single coil?

3. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    I would like to revive this thread, because I have a similar question. I am using single coil lane poors and an aguilar OBP-3. The control and pickup cavities are fully shielded and grounded and I am still getting buzz/hum. Do I need to ground the bridge?

4. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    If the control cavities are properly grounded and shielded, the bridge ground won't change a thing. Single coils buzz. If you're getting noise even in the middle noise-cancelling position, then your circuit/shielding isn't wired correctly.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

check with the OBP-1 site first but in my recall EMG is the only site that explicity states not to ground the bridge. The OBP-3 I only used as an outboard so wasn't an issue. The OBP-1 has been too long but I assume I grounded it. I can think of no possible harm that would come to the electronics from grounding. EMG recommends it for player safety.

If the LP's are true singles and not humcanceling then you proabably will get hum. There's an unofficial LP site that can be pulled up on the net and he may mention it or he may know for sure if you email him, I don't don't.

6. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    The bridge ground won't add noise if things are wired correctly. Do you own a multimeter?