1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do I need a buffer?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BiigM, Mar 27, 2009.

1. BiigM

BiigM

Nov 11, 2007
    Denmark
    Hi.

I'm wondering if I need a buffer in my chain.

Chain is Korg pitchblack => Ebs Octaver (black Label) => 3leaf Groove regulator => Demeter compulator => Ebs distortion (black label) => Ernie Ball Volume.

All is true bypass except for the demeter and the ernie ball.

20 feet cable from bass to pedalboard and same from board to amp

I'm playing passive J and P basses mostly. Sometimes active J

My main question is will the demeter do the trick by itself? Or do i need a dedicated buffer pedal.

If I do i was thinking about getttin a Loopbone from radial. It's just so big. But it would give me a clean boost too for use in solos. And two loops plus buffers.

I know I need to use my ears, but please give some opinions.

What do you think?

Thx :)

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Your EBS distortion isn't true bypass.
    Unless you bought it months ago, your Octabass isn't, either.

3. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I think the newer EBS pedals with TB actually say 'true bypass' by the footswitch.

4. BiigM

BiigM

Nov 11, 2007
    Denmark
    oh...thought they where.

So how does that change the situation as to the buffer?

5. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Unless you bought the newer EBS it is not true bypass. But another concern is the 20 ft cable in and out. Thats 40 feet and plus the lenghts of the cable between your pedals. To me thats alot of cable. Yes a buffer would help. Do you need 20 ft from the board to you? If you do alot of moving on stage I guess you do. I would cut it down to 10 or 12 ft. Also what cables are you using which is another debate in itself. A foot switcher would also help. You can switch to your pedals when you need them. Even if you had one that puts all of them on and off. This is a nice place for buffers and switcher/loopers.
    http://www.pedalboards.com/

6. Which EB Volume pedal are you using? Which resistance?

Thanks!

7. BiigM

BiigM

Nov 11, 2007
    Denmark
    I'm afraid i do need the cable lenght. I use mogami gold cables.

The Ernie Ball volume is the one with the internal switch.

Would the loopbone be a good idea? Or you guys have alternatives? Barge? Skrydstrup is definately too expensive.

8. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Plug from your bass into the tuner, then straight out to the amp. The tuner's true-bypass so compare that sound to the sound of just one 20' cable from bass to amp. You'll probably find (especially if you've got passive electronics on the bass) that you lose a lot of treble frequencies on the longer run.

Now try it with all the pedals in-line and see what the tone's like. If they've all got good buffers it should sound good, if it doesn't then it's more likely that one (or more) of them has a crappy-sounding bypass but surely one (at least) has a transparent buffer. Find which one it is - if it's only one - and make sure that one stays in your signal path all the time. Stick the rest in a true-bypass loop.

Really your ears are the only thing that matters in this decision.

9. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures

+1,000!

If your chain is working for you (effects bypassed) and you can't hear any signal loss, then don't sweat it! Unless of course, an engineer /employer/etc is hearing a problem - then consider a more complex bypass loop+buffer system as well.

10. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    grab a short cable (you can probably borrow one) and see if you can notice a difference between the short cable plugged straight from the bass to the amp and your normal setup all in bypass. If you hear no difference, so problem. Usually long cable runs eat at the high end of the audio spectrum, so it may not matter for bass

11. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    i had a 20 ft cable i used with bass straight to amp. I got some effects and switched to a short 6 ft (or 10 cant remember) and i noticed a world of difference in sound. The 20 fter was a junky brand though.

If you are gonna go long, test it before buying if possible.

12. BiigM

BiigM

Nov 11, 2007
    Denmark
    Not shure my ears would hear the high end loss, after 15 years of teaching and giging ;-)
    But as some of ou mentions, there might be an engineer with fresher ears than mine, and there's the audience too. They will probably never notice anyway, but I do wanna deliver the best tone possible.

I have loads of cables, short ones too, so I'll se what difference there is. But onstage it wouldn't be pratical. With 6 feet i might as well bring a chair on stage too ;-)

Would the loopbone be a good buy? It would give me loops, tuner out and boost plus the buffers. Fell free to give options.

13. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    lol thats why i think it was a 10 ft cable

14. seems to me that you already (probably) have buffered pedals 1)right after your tuner and 2)at the end of your chain - which is exactly where I would try to put them (lacking any kind of looper in he chain, at least)

does your signal pass through the EBS pedals if they are not powered? If not, they are the buffered version