Do I need a crossover??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GrooveDude, Feb 16, 2002.

1. Ok I have a SWR Bass 750, I'm getting a cabinet(s) here in the next month.

I was wanting to know if I get a Goliath III 4x10, and a single 15 or 18 would I need a Crossover to seperate the lows and highs? or not

2. PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    .....if memory serves correct, the SWR750 is a mono amp.

You will not be able to use a Xover with it, as you need at least 2 separate amplifier channels to split the high/low frequencies.

You should be able to use the 2 cabs I believe the 750 is ok to run with as low as a 2.6 Ohm load. Both cabs will receive full range signal from the amp.

3. You don't need no stinking crossover.

Just run them both full range.
  4. each cab has it's own crossover right??
  5. SWR G III, SOB, etc... have tweeter/horn crossovers set @ 5kHz with adjustable attenuators.

I read an somewhere that Steve Rabe didn't recommend bi-amping for his cabinets.
  6. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Why are you so concerned about crossovers?

With your setup, you cannot bi-amp, which is why you'd need a crossover to begin with. What biamping does is to allow you to send your highs to one cab and your lows to another cab. All the crossover will do for you is to physically separate the highs from the lows at a chosen frequency level.

The crossovers in the cabs you're speaking of operate somewhat the same way: they separate the frequencies sent to the cabinet so that only those above a certain frequency will go to the tweeter and those below that frequency don't.

The only way for you to bi-amp, given your current setup, is to literally run a 2nd amp. But, then the setup gets way more complicated.

I'd steer clear from bi-amping until you decide your current SWR amp is not cutting it.;)