Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do I need a Epiphone thunderbird?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by icks, Oct 6, 2003.

Do I need a Epiphone thunderbird

Poll closed Oct 13, 2003.
  1. Yes go for it !

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. No this bass sucks

16 vote(s)
    47.1%
  3. Spare money and go for the Gisbon

8 vote(s)
    23.5%
  4. Don't care, I rather have a nice bunch of carrots !

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    Good question...

I play mostly grunge, I look for a nice rock tone, my favourite tone can be heard in the song 'lounge act' from Nirvana.

I already have a Pbass MIJ 57'RI squier serie from 82' and a jazz bass deluxe MIM which are run into a Mesa Boogie M2000.

So I can't affort a Gibson, I really like the look, I tried one last week, it sounded nice not very versatile i think but I didn't play it as I wanted.

The neck of the epiphone is a bit larger, but playable...

So do I need one ?

2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Nope. If you cant afford it but like it b/c of the way it looks then you dont need one. You really like the look of those basses? :meh: The basses you have are more than suitable for grunge. Get a distortion pedal instead... :bassist:

3. Exedore

Exedore

Nov 15, 2002
    Pasadena, Ca, USA
    Personally, I've always loved the look of the Thunderbird. That said, it doesn't sound like you really need one. The basses you have are decent basses.
    I haven't played them much myself but from what I've heard, and you said it yourself, they're not very versatile in tone. Still, if you like the sound and can afford it maybe go back and play it a couple more times and if you still like it go for it.
    As far as the Epiphone vs. Gibson issue goes, I don't know what your financial situation is like but I know I wouldn't be able to afford the Gibson for a really long time...

Or, as Metron said, you could just buy a distortion pedal...

4. I play grunge
    I got a tb

it rocks.

so you need it? not specially. I bought it for the look. Still have to customize electronics. The output is very low.

the bass is very versatile. but a Fender has better defined mids.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sure, my biggest complaint with the Gibson is it's WAY to heavy. I believe it's solid mahogany. The Epi is much lighter and the sound is almost comparable.

6. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I have disto on my amp and I have a pod that I use as multi effects...

It's not a problem for me.
    As long as it sounds good, it looks good and it's reliable, I'll play with it.

7. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    can someone confirm that they sounds almost the same ?

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I cannot. However, being a Gibson Thunderbird player, I can say that to my hands, they don't even feel the same. On several occassions, I have picked one up in a music store on a whim, and at no point in time did I feel like I was holding or playing my Gibson. I have tried a good number of basses over the years, and the T-Bird is my favorite by a long shot. That said, I would have to say that the Thunderbird is very much a love it or don't love it (surely no one could "hate" it! ;) ) kind of an instrument. Where it doesn't excite some folks at all, to me it feels and plays better than any other instrument I have tried (though Phil Maneri's old Sadowsky was pretty darn nice), and I absolutely love the tone. Very strong in the low mids, and quite solid, but still with decent upper register articulation.

The Epi's may look nice, but to me at least, they're no T-Bird. If you want a Thunderbird, go Gibson. If you want a good, cheap axe, there are probably better choices out there (MTD Kingston, anyone?).

Tom.

9. thrasher717

thrasher717

Jan 17, 2003
    North Dakota
    I think the Thunderbird is one of the coolest looking basses out there. If you want a Thunderbird, save your money and get the real thing. I wouldn't buy a Jay Turdser if I wanted a Hofner and I wouldn't buy an Epiphone if I wanted a Gibson.

10. Agreed;)

11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I'd love a Gibson Thunderbird. I think they look cool. And, maybe, I'd look cool playing it(?).

Well, maybe.

12. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    The Epiphones are value for money. I really like the Epi Tbird. Only complaint is that it neck-dives but you can always fix this by changing the position of the strap button.

I say go for it if you like it.

13. If you're just buying it for the look,I'd say screw it...

14. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Why is that? What's wrong with buying it primarily for the looks. :rolleyes:

Its not the worst sounding bass around, actually its a pretty good sounding bass for the price and if he decides to get it for the looks, he'll also get a bass that sounds good and plays decently, assuming he doesn't get a bad apple.

15. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    Everyone buys with the look. Not just for the look but with the look.

I'm still wondering if the gibson really worth 1800€ morethan a Epi.

(Gibson=2200€,Epi=400€)

16. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I made a mistake about 10 years ago. I really like the Explorer type g**tars (and infact I like the T-bird shape too..) Anyway, I thought 'can't afford a Gibson I'll get an Epiphone'. Now a few years earlier, one of my friends had an Epiphone Les Paul g**tar. A real nice one, made in Kalamazoo.

I was influenced by the quality of his insstrument. I bought the Epi and what a disaster it was. Also note, I made the mistake of getting it mail order..........

Needless to say it went back......

If you like a T-bird, I'd say try to save and get a Gibson one - or check out ebay, you might get a better deal then.....but head my concern about buying before you try!

(On a side note, I did eventually get an Explorer! I hit the halfway house and got an ESP LTD EX250 Explorer - lovely!)

17. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    In addition to my T-Bird, I stumbled upon a used Gibson Explorer bass for $385 in great shape (with original hardshell case). Needless to say, that badboy went home with me! What is interesting, is that the Explorer is a 32" scale instrument, while the Thunderbird is 34.5" The Explorer has deeper lows, but the T-bird is definitely more focused.

Again, my vote is save for the Gibson. You won't regret it.

Tom.

18. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Thats a good snatch, does still Gibson make Flying V basses? Last I heard, they've discontinued them.