Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do I need a headphone amp???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rick1906, Dec 1, 2004.

1. rick1906

rick1906

Jun 6, 2002
    NC
    I am trying to find an easy way to switch very quickly from playing through cabs to headphones without disconnecting a bunch of cables. Here's my setup: Ken Smith 5 string and KSD 70's jazz 5 string ----> Ampeg SVP Pro preamp ----> QSC PLX1602 power amp (channel 1 only) ----> Eden D410T cab. I play CD's, digital music, personal recordings through my PC which feeds into a looping device going into channel 2 of the power amp which outputs to a 2x10 cab.

This setup works really well to help me learn new songs since I can loop and slow down a riff. The problem is that I practice late at night when the kids are sleeping. Does anyone know of an A/B type of device where I could just push a button to have both channels output to a headphone amp? Are there any other options that will allow me to do this?

2. Try the Pocket Rock it bass headphone amp from Ctech they are very good and you can input your pc/cd to it as well, even has built in chorus.

3. GrooveSlave

GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Get yourself a small mixer. You can use the aux sends to route the signal whereever you want and blend the CD material with your bass at just the right level to practice with headphones. Most have a headphone jack.

At the risk of getting flamed... the Behringer cheapies go for about $70 and would do nicely.

If you don't know how to use a mixer, you should learn and this would be a good way to get started. You never know what you could end up doing with it as time goes on either...

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    all i have to say is check out the Rolls website - they really have everything!!! and they are very working classed priced. i love them!

:)

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    lots of good ehadphone amps out there, but i dont know of anything that can do the a/b thing you need with the two seperate signal sources. maybe the small mixer thing is a good idea. I have a headphone out on my swr electric blue and on my eden wt-400 and thank god i do. seems like 11:30 PM = inspiration time. :p

6. rick1906

rick1906

Jun 6, 2002
    NC
    Thanks. This is good information. I just downloaded the owner's manual on the Behringer Eurorack mixers, and I think it will do the trick.

7. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Behringer UB 802 = $50.

Will do all you need and a whole lot more.

8. rick1906

rick1906

Jun 6, 2002
    NC
    Yep, that's the one I'll get. I have a pair of Bose noise cancelling headphones that should work nicely with this setup.

9. One of the reasons I picked the EDEN 550 Traveller was the Aux ins on the back panel.
    It's rather strange but your spot on IvanMike, as soon as all the tinlids are asleep I feel like making noise too :)