Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do I need a larger

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Harpo, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    I have Ampeg B100R which I love but my band is starting to more out door gigs . One guitar Player has a new 40 watt Fender tube and the other has a 50 watt Music Man. We also have a keyboard player. We are not a real loud band (Classic Rock, Blues) But the last gig we did was out in a backyard. And I had the amp at about 7 (I am playing a Stingray5. Our next gig will at beach club and it will be open. If I could talk the band into getting a bigger PA I guess I could just Mike it
    or Use the Line out. But I am thinking about getting a new Amp I would like to Spend No more then 800.00 and I thought of Nemesis combo with either the 2X12 or 15 .

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    IMHO, getting a bigger amp is not necessarily the best solution. You get too high a sound level on stage. It is better to use your amp for monitoring on stage and let the PA handle the sound to the audience.

We try to keep the sound on stage as low as possible (although you need some sound pressure to feel right) to spare our hearing, and we have found we play and sing better this way. It's also easier to get a good sound in the PA if there is not too much contribution from the backline.

I play outdoor gigs with only a small 12" EBS Drome as monitor (directed at myself and the drummer) and a small amount of bass in the floor monitors for the other band members.

All IMHO of course. :)

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    A friend of mine who plays in a local band has the same amp as you. I often play it at practice since my guitarist is the brother of his bands drummer (who often stands in on drums for us). From going to his shows and using it a few times I can tell you with certainty that a larger amp would be a good idea.

I have the Nemesis 2-10" combo and its great. I its much better than the Ampeg. Its louder has a warmer sound, and tons more low end. I probably would've gotten the 2-12 version had portability not been such and extreeme issue.

I think that between the 2-12 and the 1-15, you should definetly go with the 2-12. Another good idea would be to get the 2-10 and get another nemesis 2-10 or 1-12 cab to sit under it.

Im not sure why you mentioned the 2-12 and 15 cabs without mentioning the 10 sytems, but if its because of concerns about bass, believe me when I say that low end response is not an issue at all with and Eden of Nemesis systems. You shouldnt worry about 10's not being enough.

Peace
    Nick