1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do i need a master clock?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Bjazzman, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    we're recording into a focusrite saffire pro 40 and i recently purchased a presonus digimax d8 to add 8 more channels(16 total) via adat. I have yet to set this up but if we're going to record or perform live and have these 2 units work together, do we need a master clock like big ben to pull it off? Or will my macbook pro handle the job?

2. Doc Labyrinth

Doc Labyrinth

Nov 21, 2007
    New Jersey
    Mr. Wiggles the Worm
    A separate master clock is more accurate, but you can set the clock in either your interface or the digimax as the master.

3. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

+1.

As long as you have only two digital units, slave one to the other's clock. A master clock is more important when you have several digital devices, where daisy-chaining can degrade the clock.

Don't sweat the minutiae of digital details once you have a decent clock. Work on the songs and performances.

I prefer to think in order of Composition, Arrangement, Performance, Engineering, Equipment. By today's "bedroom recording" standards, the Beatles used junk equipment; everything else, however, outweighed the equipment they had to use.