Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do I need a new bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by damo2576, Aug 10, 2004.

1. damo2576

damo2576

Aug 9, 2004
    Hi,

Just started playing (learning) bass guitar. I've bought my own amp (orange crush 20b) and have borrowed a bass guitar.

I'm picking things up fine, teaching myself from books.

The problem I have is that many of the notes I play rattle and much of what I play doenst sound good. I'm quite aware that this may be due to technique but I've tried hard and checked that I am doing everything by the book.

Consquently I think it may be the guitar ('a bad worksman blames his tools'!!), its a cheapy encore, the open A rattles in the nut and to get a decent note I find I have to press down on the fretboard as hard as I can - thats not right no?

My dilemma is should I splash out on a new guitar? Or should I persevere with this one, nail it on that then treat myself? Will a better guitar make it easier to learn?

I've been looking at a Yamaha RBX370a if you have any opinion on that.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Damo

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    It just needs a setup. Whoever owns it could possibly bring it to a music shop and have them set it up correctly, or you could.

things to learn about:

a) action (height of strings off fretboard)
    b) relief (depression of neck)
    c)fretbuzz (is the rattling you experience
    d) truss rod (adjusts the neck relief)
    and the bridge, to change action and intonation.

There should be a link on the forum somewhere to learn about it.

3. damo2576

damo2576

Aug 9, 2004
    reading your message and looking at the guitar I've noticed you can adjust height of strings - i had thought they were too high and maybe that was making it seem hard than it ought - towards the bottom of the fretboard (or is that top? nearer the pickups) they're about 7mm off the board.

How far off should they be?

I'll seach on the stuff you suggested - thanks!

Damo

4. if you're serious about continuing playing bass, i suggest you buy your own bass to go with your amp -- you'll need a bass of your own eventually.

the bass you're looking at is considering very good for the money, i've heard, though i have never played one. there are far too many basses competing for the beginner's attention. if you're happy with how the yamaha sounds and feels, and you're comfortable with the cost, you may as well buy it.

robb.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    True that you'll need your own bass eventually. Could be a good time now if you can afford it.

6. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    a decent action is somewhere between 1,5 and 4mm at the 12 fret - most player have their basses set-up that way. it allows to fret the notes without a need to use much strenght, and don`t create a lot of fretbuzz.

go to www.garywillis.com, and check out his setup manual, it`s great.

a rattling open string is not a good sign.

7. damo2576

damo2576

Aug 9, 2004
    1.4-4mm at the 12th fret? Just checked and mine is like 7mm!!!

Could that be why my knuckles ache constantly??!

Hear what you're saying about buying my own bass, I also think owning your own and forming a "relationship" must be quite important.

At least I wont have any excuses then!

Cheers. Love this forum by the way!

Damo

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yea it definitely needs a setup then. Without seeing it, theres not much way of knowing what exactly it needs done.. which is why taking it to a pro would be wise, although buying your own bass might be the best choice at this time, so you dont end up spending $30-$60 on a setup.