Do I NEED a new bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The Artist, May 20, 2003.

1. I currently play an Ibanez GSR200.
    Is it a "must" that I should buy a new one or is it "ok"?
    I play over a 300W amp would my sound be MUCH better if I had a better quality bass?
    (and plz no "It's not the bass, but the person whos playing it" answers );)

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Belongs in Basses forum.

If you dig your Ibanez, then why do you need a new one?

If you don´t dig it, then go to a music store and try out every bass within your budget and go from there.

Even though sound is in the fingers, it of course changes with another bass, if you can afford to buy a new one and if you really want a change of sound, go to a music store and try some basses out.
  3. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Do you like it? Does it get a sound you like?

If you were definitely in the market for a new bass, what would attract you and why?

4. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    You ALWAYS need a new bass.. Right??

I'd say check one or two out that appeal from the local store, best to do it on your rig. My shop lets me take one home or to a gig (I leave my CC number with them) for a day or two so I can see if I like it. If it's something I want I'll try to find it used first. There is probably very little that is not available used on the 'net. Unlike some others, I owned and liked Ibanez gear, (don't have any now) but if you are going to buy why not a different brand?

Good luck.
  5. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Then tell me what you want to hear, because I was going to say that.

But, to simplify that even more, no, you do not need a new bass. Read Chris Fitzgerald's post at the bottom of
    this thread.
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Shoot, I've been using an Ibanez GSR200 for quite a while, and it's outstayed a G&L L2000, MTD Kingston, and an Ibanez ATK (if it would sell...)
  7. YES! RUN TO THE STORE NOW AND BUY A NEW ONE!! Then tell me to do the same thing, cuz I want a new one real bad too. :bassist: :bassist: :cool:
  8. Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    . You don`t have to. When you start feeling that the quality of your gear is limiting you, it`s time to find something better.

play over a 300W amp would my sound be MUCH better if I had a better quality bass?

. yes. a stingray will sound much, much better than your gsr.

question was - do you need a better bass right now. I don`t know, you tell me.
  9. 'Need' is very subjective ;)

I think anybody who is playing gigs should have at least 2 basses just on principle so there is a backup if something goes wrong.
  10. Er... SuperDuck, he can't, he's only a member and that thread is in the Lounge.

11. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Oh yeah. ;) Well, thanks for repeating the gist of it. :D
  12. I dunno about you... But I sure do need a Jaco RI Fretless to cure my gas!!!

13. It is my first and only bass. It's not that i NEED a new bass. It's not even that I Want a new bass. JI was just asking coz trhe Ibanez GSR200 has been badmouthed here alot, like "its a beginner bass", if i were to get a new one it would brobably be a Sr6something or a btb. but seeing as I'm broke and still have to pay off my amp, it will be along time till i cure my "gas".
    (sorry about typingerrors, but for some reason my browser isnt displaying the txt i am typing...wierrd.