do i need a PRE AMP?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by iceblinko, Mar 24, 2005.

1. iceblinko

Jul 15, 2003
    i was wondering if i should use a pre amp even though i have a really good tube amp (svt classic). do people generally use pre amps with tube amps? or is it more of a recording tool? i've actually never used one. what would it do for my sound?
    thanks all
  2. A pre amp is necessary to drive properly the power amp, the bass itself hasn't enough output to do that.
  3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Your SVT already has a preamp built into it. For you, buying a preamp would mean that you'd have to buy a separate power amp too, because you couldn't run this new preamp through your SVT's power amp. If you don't like your current sound, or just want a different rig, this might be a good idea. But if you're content with what you've got, you've got no need for a preamp.
  4. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Some bassists definately use a tube preamp before their solid-state amp, even though the head already has one. I think that one of the most common reasons bassists do this - I mean what it is they want it to do for them - is to attempt, the best they can anyway, to sound like they're playing through an SVT classic. I gather that the intersteller OD is an example of a very conscious effort to simulate valve pre, push-pull valve power stage, and output transformer all together - this is made by SWR.

Using any kind of outboard processing though - I'd think that you could get an SWR amp closer to the un-altered sound of the famous SVT, than you could get an SVT Classic to sound like an un-altered SWR!

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i'm not sure about the classic. i know the svt2 pro has a poweramp in, and i think the effects loop on the 2 may be entirely post preamp. plugging a preamp output into a poweramp in or into the effects return of an amp that has a post preamp/eq effects loop effectively bypasses the preamp in the head.

but no, you dont need a preamp if you have an integrated head like the classic. (as long as you dig the tone)
  6. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Just wondering... Can you use a Mesa 400+ as a poweramp? Say i bought a Demeter Pre or GK 2001 pre after i got a bass 400+, I could just use the power section of the Mesa with the preamps, yes?