Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do I need a pre amp?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Wild Bill, May 31, 2005.

1. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    I use a fender combo amp for small gigs, it has an EQ on it and I get a nice tone. The thing is my drummer whos pretty knowledgable on guitar and bass equipment, suggested that I get a pre amp since I just have a 15" combo amp.
    I was wondering, since I have an EQ on my amp would there even be any need for it at all? :confused:

2. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    I fail to see the need, or place for a pre in your setup.

Pre's are for bumbing your instrument signal up to line level so you can drive a power amp. Your combo has all of that built into it.

Why did he suggest you get a pre? Tone? Volume?

If you buy a pre,then buy a power amp and a cab.

3. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    yeah preamps are used for tonal purposes. if ur getting good tone from ur combo i dont see why u would need a pre.

4. true story...techincally you've got a preamp, thats your EQ section on your combo. generally you get a preamp to use with a power amp.

5. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    If you like the tone then there is absolutely positively no need to buy a preamp. Obviously you are happy with the one built into your combo.

But...there would be nothing wrong with buying a preamp...then a power amp...then a cab...

Heh heh. Gotta love GAS!

:D

Joe.

6. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Tell your drummer to get a new kit and you'll think about a preamp.

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Better yet, ask your drummer to buy you the pre, and then show you how it works and what it actually adds to the equation ...

How do you know if the stage is level ?

If the drummer is drooling equally out of both sides of his mouth ...

How do you get your drummer to the gig on time ?

Take the Domino's delivery sign off the top of his car - it's more aero that way ...

(OK - they're old and not original but then everyone likes a Chestnut now and then ...)

8. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    It depends...
    ...if you've got a passive bass, and want a LITTLE more "oomph" in your bass, a preamp designed for plugging into a preamp (your combo is preamp/amp/cabinet all in one) can help there. But be warned - with more than a little boost, you you'll have distortion, or blow your amp/speaker. You'd need a "stomp-box" preamp built to plug into another preamp, unless you have an effects loop (in which case you could plug a "real" preamp into effects return). In any case, if raw volume is what you're after, you can't push your current amp/speaker much more.

9. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Bill, you already have a pre amp and power amp in your combo. Its called a combo for that reason. Its an integrated Pre+Power+Speaker in combination, and as long as you're happy with your sound and its volume output, then theres no need to spend your hard earned on more because the drummer says so.