1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do I need a regulated power supply?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by squarewave, Sep 26, 2005.

  1. squarewave

    squarewave Supporting Member

    Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    Hi- I need to power a few 9V pedals and have some power-supply questions.

    I have a bunch of old 9V adaptors lying around (unregulated). Can I use an unregulated power supply? Does "Class 2" mean unregulated switching supply? Is a Class 2 power supply acceptable? Thanks in advance for any information you are able to offer.

  2. syciprider

    syciprider Banned

    May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    If the polarity/plugs are correct then just try them. If your rig starts humming then that means you need another wall wart.
  3. Toasted


    May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Everyone always needs regulated PSU's
  4. Actually transistors or op-amps can typically run in a range of voltages from 9 up to a maximum of 18 VDC.

    The exact value usually isn't critical. More importantly the power supply should be relatively clean and stable.

    Some applications are more critical than others, some applications can tolerate a small amount of ripple, others can't....some have a zener diode or voltage regulator chip in the pedal...

    Try the wall wart and see. If it's the right polarity and voltage it probably will be fine.
  5. westland


    Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Some pedals require regulation and some don't. I recently had a problem with my Peterson Strobostomp tuner and an unregulated power supply ... when I plugged it in, I heard a POP and saw flames out the back. The power board was fried. Peterson's John Norris was great with customer support, and has shipped me a replacement power board free of charge (Thanks Peterson). But next time, only regulated power supplies for me! ;)
  6. For the most part, as long as it's near enough to 9V with the correct polarity at the connector and can supply sufficient current (which is not very much for most pedals) it'll work.
  7. squarewave

    squarewave Supporting Member

    Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    Thanks everybody. I think for a few extra bucks, I'll go with a new regulated power supply.

    Can anyone tell me what Class 2 means on a power supply?

  8. I can't be sure, but it's probably just indicating that it's a switch mode supply rather than a more traditional linear supply.