Do I need a Rickenbacker?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FretNoMore, Sep 5, 2003.

1. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    As you can see from my www link I have a quite diverse set of basses, they cover many different sounds and looks.

As you can see from my avatar text, I suffer from chronic G.A.S., and I have not bought any gear in a loooong time...

I'm intrigued by the looks of Rickenbackers, but have actually never seen or played one.

Do I need one? And, if so, why?

2. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    yes you do..GO NOW...why are you waiting GO NOW!!!!!!! NOW!!!!GO!!!run don't walk GO NOW!!!!

it is differnt from any other bass..what more can you a good way. and they hold there value well

GO NOW!!!!!!!
  3. they do have a distinctive sound... try one out man..I've heard them in many different genre's of music, and with some pretty wicked tones...
  4. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Need is a subjective word. If you are doing a job like filling in for Chris Squire for Yes where the Rickenbacker sound is needed, then I'd say yes. They do have a unique, agressive sound (but so does a Warwick). If the Rick sound is what you want, then get it. Keep in mind about playability. I can't quite explain it, but the Ricks feel different.:confused:

I solved my Rick GAS with an Electra 4001 copy. Great sounding bass, for cheap. Sounds like a Rick to my ears.
  5. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Try before you buy. You might like them, you
    might not. They can't do everything, and they're
    not for everybody.
  6. I know that in my opinion, the sound is great, but the feel of the Rick is the best part. That's why I want one.
  7. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.

>>>>The "fatso" neck they make (1984 & later)
    doesn't feel like the old ones.
  8. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    heh Anders, I thought this would be a thread by some unknowledged newbie or something! ;)

Fill in the blanks: _____ only needed _____ _____. :p

I need to find a Rick to play so I can have an opinion of them.
  9. Which Ric? Most likely you mean the 4001/3 variety. There are other Ric basses, but those are the most famous. ;)
  10. RIC's are great basses and have a awesome and distinct sound to them. you don't really need one but it sure would be sweet to have one. the only reason I have not bought one yet is because at this point I don't really have a big need/use for one and I don't have the money just get one for the hoot of it. but if you have a collection it is definetly something to get. you should try to play one though. most people like them but they are not for everyone.
  11. Seriously? I've played some 70s 4001's and they were awesome, but I never tried more recent ones. Either way, FretNoMore, try before you buy. You might love it, or you might hate it.
  12. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Yeah, the necks they make now are fatter than
    ever. I guess Rick got fed up with all the complaints of bowed necks, so they made the
    necks chunkier, which I can't stand... The reason
    for all the bowed necks is that stupid-ass
    dual truss rod system. Although I've never had
    a problem with mine, it's the biggest piece of
    stupidity I've ever seen on a guitar. Lift the
    name plate off of a 4000 series bass and you'll
    see what I'm talking about: The plate that
    takes the tension from the truss rods butts right up against the pocket rout, and the adjustment
    nuts bite right into that plate. There's very
    limited adjustment on those truss rods, and if
    you crank 'em down too hard, you'll either crack
    the headstock or lift the fingerboard at the first
    fret, or strip the nuts or rods. If you're lucky enough to have an older 4001 with a straight neck like I do, you've got a nice bass, although
    they can't do everything...
  13. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    There was a time when I thought I could live without a Rickenbacker.

Facts proved me I could not.