Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do I NEED a rig, or is a Combo enough?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SteveC, Jul 29, 2005.

1. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I've searched, Googled, etc. Some background:

My gigs are pretty low to medium volume, mostly jazz, sometimes pop or light rock. The venues are small to medium, 400 people tops. The larger venues have PA support, but just a pair of 15's on sticks. I play a fretted 5, fretless 4 and upright for big band gigs.

I currently have an Eden WT-550 and Bergantino HT112. It sounds great and has plenty of power. It's not too bad to haul around, but sometimes I wish I had a little combo amp.

I used an SWR WM10 and it handled the B string surprisingly well and kept up with a 10 piece funk band - in rehearsals. It also was all I needed to play JC Superstar in a 400 seat theatre. I'm wondering if something like a WM12 would be enough? It lacks the tube pre, but I could always get something.

Do I use a head/cab just for ego? Is it just to "look" cool at the gig? My current rig does sound nice, but would something else be almost as good, certainly good enough for the average listener at a bar? It's not like I'm recording or anything.

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I cant imagine a cheaper SWR combo that would sound anywhere near as nice as your current rig, or be any easier to transport. If I were you, I'd stick with the rig you have.

3. +1

It sounds like you have a nice, easy to handle package that meets your needs. As the saying goes, "...if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

4. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Yeah, you are probably right. I've kicked it around before and it seems I'm at a point where a combo isn't enough (unless you spend $2,000) and a head/cab is on the verge of being too much. Maybe if I found a smaller case (I have it in a 2 space rack right now) for the Eden that would help.

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Maybe a rack bag or soft case would work better for you. If you haul your head in your vehicle, or carry it, it doesnt really get much bumping around. I used an Eden WT400 for quite a while with no rack or bag at all.

6. I have a UK made Ashdown Mag 115 combo and my fondest wish right now is for a WT 550 and an HT112. You are more portable than almost any combo and should have tone to die for. If you want to trade let me know. I would do it in a heartbeat. Then you could experience a little more humility and I would have something to be very proud of. I would put the amp and cables in a bag in my left hand, the HT 112 in the right hand and not look back.

7. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Never really thought of that. I transport and set up all my own stuff. It's not like it's in a "band van" or something getting tossed around. Maybe I should just take it out of the rack.

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The best argument against a combo is that to upgrade either the amp or the speakers you have to replace both.

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    The Eden heads have a small strap/handle on the side, so I would assume Eden intended we be able to use them in that way.

10. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota

Mine doesn't?

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    OH..OK. Sorry. Mine had one, so I assumed they all did.

12. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I wish mine did. Problem solved.

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Perhaps you could get yourself a strap, and screw it on yourself? I bought a nice strap from Epifani for $6.

On to the other point....Good idea to look around for some advice here at TB before you run out and buy something.

It is always better to have more power than necessary. You can always turn it down. It sucks to be asked to turn up, and you can't.

-Mike

14. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Steve, I've definitely suggested that before! (There is useful content in some of my posts other than the revolving gear door comments...)

And if I haven't suggested that, then I should have done!

Now you've got the Eden's inherent (slightly dirty) fatness, has the BDDI been completely retired?

Alex

15. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Eden makes a bag for the WT550. It goes for around $75.

16. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Alex,

I guess I missed that suggestion in your post. :)

I posted on the Eden board about the handle idea. Just want to make sure the case can "handle" it. ;)

Yes, the BDDI is being retired. I don't need to "tone shaping" of the BDDI anymore. I am thinking about a Radial JDI though. That post EQ DI on the Eden is kinda dumb. I like to send a flat line to the FOH.

17. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Two thoughts -

1) What about a 2x10 combo map, like a BAM, and then using an extension cab for larger sets? A BAM by itself is 350 w, and with a cab it's 500 (!). Add a 1x12 if you need it, but I've played outdoor shows without going through the PA and cut through everything with my BAM. (Never above 2 and a half on the volume - and that usually gets me a polite request to lower my volume.) BAM's on casters, easy to move. (Little heavy, though.)

2) How much are you asking for your BDDI? :D

18. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I thought of those. There's a nice Eden Metro in town - that weighs 90 lbs. At that point I am better off with what I have. I must have been bored today. I need to just keep what I have. Everyone says my sound is the best it's ever been.

Maybe I'll mess around with DI's and effects instead. :D

19. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    He hath seeneth the light!

20. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    a nice, small, light combo with enough power is going to cost almost as much and weigh more than your cab. I had an Ashdown ABM 110 which sounded great, but strained with loud sets. And even though 58 pounds doesn't sound like much, it's way more of a pain to move around than the Aggie cab I now own. Only reason I would like another combo is for plugging in at home without hauling out all the gear and cables (young kids, pets and no music room = all gear stashed safely away).