Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do I need a Sansamp Bass Driver DI ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kelu, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Kelu

Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    Ok , my config is :

Musicman Sterling
    Hartke 3500
    Big 1x15' Mesa boogie

Do you think a SansAmp Bass Driver DI can really make my sound better??
    Is the BDDI is really good when plugged directly to the mix table? Without going through an Amp?? (Hope u understand my poor english..)

Do I need it ? :confused:

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    You need to try one. I love mine... but I think I said that in another, similar thread you started.

Wulf

3. Kelu

Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    ok but, If i wanna try one, I need someone to lend me one !
    I can try one in a music shop, but not on my bass and not on my amp..
    That's the problem..

4. Kelu

Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    Is there same product than BDDI but in another entreprise? (eden? ebs? ...)

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I think that the SABDDI unit is fairly unique in it's price range. I did try one other when I bought it (MXR?) but that was more geared to producing overdrive / distortion and seemed less good at the more subtle colouration I was after.

How comes you can't take your gear to the music store? If transport is a problem then take your bass, play through a few amps until you find something that sounds similar to what you've got and then try the SABDDI.

Wulf

6. cmassa

cmassa Hello. My name is Chris, I'm a bass-aholic.

Nov 27, 2001
    Chicago
    I have 2 of them. I also have the Hartke
    7000. Once I found the SansAmp I have used it
    on every Amp that I have ever played through.
    It adds so much more to 'midrange heads' like
    the Hartke. It was like using the loudness
    switch on the stereo.
    I continue to use it live and have recorded with
    it as well.

7. aladdin

aladdin

Mar 7, 2003
    Chiba, Japan
    I agree with what the others have posted. You have to try one.

I first researched on the web and listened to BassTaster's web site. However, you can't judge from that. What were the settings they used? Did they leave everything flat? There is no disclaimer on that website. The SansAmp sounds bad in that comparison. The BDDI's strengths are its flexibility.

I went to a music store and tried one myself. The first time I used the store's MusicMan Stingray. Boy did this bass have the worst set of strings ever on it! I played it through an SWR Super RedHead cabinet (which I have experience with). I decided I didn't need the BDDI.

I went back to the same music store with my Stingray and tried the SansAmp again on a G&K 1x15 combo (the 400). Night and Day. I decided," I have to have it!" I have not regretted that decision. I usually use it with my Hartke B60 bypassing the Hartke's pre-amp. I use it with the Super RedHead the same way. It can make almost any rig in any room sound useable! Makes most sound great.

Take your time auditioning one. Also, play it at the levels that you play. Go through each of the recommended settings in the little book and then fiddle with them. This is a nice box!

-Aladdin