Do I need a special cable to connect the speaker with the amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kombi, Jan 29, 2013.

  1. kombi


    Jan 3, 2011
    Couldn't find anything within the search, so...

    Since my guitarist made me a bit unsure: Do I need a special cable to connect my bass cab with my amp? Or can I connect the speaker and the amp with the same cable which I connect my bass to the amp?

  2. CL400Peavey

    CL400Peavey Supporting Member

    Nov 7, 2011
    Grand Rapids Michigan
    Yes you need a speaker cable, not an instrument cable to connect your amp to your cab.
  3. Afraid so, you could do damage to your amp when you use an instrument cable.

    Off to the shop with you :)
  4. BassmanPaul

    BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

    Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    If you have a choice, a cable with Speakon ends is the better choice. :)
  5. CL400Peavey

    CL400Peavey Supporting Member

    Nov 7, 2011
    Grand Rapids Michigan
  6. zfunkman


    Dec 18, 2012
    Its called a speaker cable and its unshielded.
  7. It also has wires of much thicker gauge that don't overheat, melt insulation and short out nearly as easy. :)
  8. This. Seriously. You could toast your amp if you use an instrument cable.

    Go get a speaker cable, and I agree, if you're pushing over 500 watts through it try to get one with speakon ends if your amp and cab support that, or at least 14 gauge cable. It will say the gauge right on the cable- also usually says "speaker cable".
  9. Don't you just hate it when guitar players are right? :spit: :D
  10. kombi


    Jan 3, 2011
    Alright, I'm off to the shop later this day! Thanks alot folks!

    Ahhh, dang. Yes, yes I do :D
  11. Dammit, just searching for the same question, off to the shops as well first thing tomorrow morning...
  12. The advantage, besides not frying your amp, is that a good quality speaker cable will also make the rig sound better.
  13. Hawkbone


    Mar 23, 2009
    Chance are your guitarist will think you're being OCD, just because they've probably gotten away with it on their own rigs and don't believe you can't do the same. Fact is, the conductors in instrument cables are just too tiny to reliably function as speaker cables. There is a point of diminishing return but, in general, lower gauge speaker cables=better sound. That is, you might notice an improvement in sound going from a 22Ga to 14Ga, but maybe not from 14Ga to 12Ga.
  14. hover


    Oct 4, 2008
    Wow. This question still gets asked? :meh:
    It's not a "special" cable per se, but rather purpose-built: it's a "speaker cable" know, for connecting the amp to the speakers? Like an "instrument cable" is for attaching your bass to the same point (the amp). People call it a "guitar cable", but it's not. It's an instrument cable. The word "Special" you use denotes it'd be a singular, or proprietary non-universal variant for an otherwise universal application. Just because a plug is 1/4" on a speaker cable OR an instrument cable, don't mean they're the same...stop assuming. If it was the same, then cable manufacturers wouldn't spent the time silk screening "instrument" or "speaker" on the cable jacket.

    Neutrik / Speakon connections may be "superior", but I never get any heat buildup at the amp connection with my 1/4" speaker cable. Not even with my ancient SVT.
  15. Cpnraisnuts


    Feb 9, 2013
    Your amp will thank you. 😉