Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

do i need an amp? please help

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by aaguudis, Jul 16, 2001.

1. aaguudis

aaguudis

Apr 3, 2001
    Portland
    I have an upright with a pickup on it. I'm wondering if i need an amp, or can i just a) mic it? or b) run it through the PA system?

thanks

2. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yes. No. Maybe.

It all depends, really.

Who are you playing with? What's the overall volume level. Can you hear yourself?

No one needs an amp, but some benefit more than others from having one.

-dh

3. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Enen with pickups, I've had good luck running through the PA, but certain p/up's may need a preamp to sound decent. If you have a good mic, it would be preferable, but bleed through and feedback are issues you'll have to deal with in a trade-off for a natural sound.

Monte

4. aaguudis

aaguudis

Apr 3, 2001
    Portland
    i play in a band with drums guitar keys vocals. i have an electric and the upright, but heres the deal: my electric bass is crapping out on me and so is my amp. so i've been considering making the switch to almost full-time upright playing. (probably just rock the electric at home for practicing or playing in a different band just for fun) money spent on something like a preamp or other nessecities(sp?) is not an issue because if i dont need an amp then i have the 1300$ i was gonna spend on that for other things.

so do i need an amp?

5. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've always questioned the wisdom of people who insist on big wall of sound amps. I figure that the amp that I play through should be sufficient for stage volume and perhaps smallish rooms and leave the rest of it up to the house sound system.

$1300 for an amp? That just seems excessive to me.

I would get a good buffer preamp/DI combination (I use the Raven Labs MDB1 which also gives me a 3-input line mixer and effects loop, all for around $200. Then buy a good quality 100-150 watt combo amp. I actually use a Roland KC500 keyboard amp a lot of the time and am pretty happy with its sound.

You'll probably want an amp on-stage to help you hear yourself (and so your bandmates can hear you), but I would think that $1300 worth of amp is overkill no matter where you're playing and with whom.

-dh