Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do I need an ATA Approved Case?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, May 9, 2005.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Right I got a small European tour coming up with more dates probably later this summer, and I currently only have 1 SKB Freedom case.

Now I don't think there will be any air travel this time, but there maybe in the future and I do want to get the best I can, so I've been looking at my choices.

http://www.spider-engineering.co.uk...=270&groupid=64&title=Flightcase Guitar cases
    This company looks good the case isn't ATA approved but it does come with a lifetime Warrenty and they are relatively cheap

http://www.skbcases.com/product/musical_instrument/guitars/skb-r44.html
    Now this is ATA approved but I have flown with a fitted Rickenbacker case before and it got battered and is now unuseable, now this might be ok since SKB will replace the bass safe but I don't think I could go 2 weeks with out a hardcase mid tour. Also my Ritter Superpack Gig bag won't fit inside of these so I will probably have to buy another gig bag.

http://www.spider-engineering.co.uk...sp?id=276&groupid=43&title=Gator Guitar cases
    These again are ata approved but I'm not sure how they would last in a hold, I guess I just don't trust this plastic over aluminium and wood.

So what do you guys think?

Is it being ATA approved important if the case is made of aluminium?

Cheers

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Steve,

I wouldn't get the huge metal and wood one - too heavy... I've flown with two types of bass in the hold - one compressed foam semi-solid one (worked fine) and one like the last one on your list - plastic hardshell - also worked fine.

I do like the look of the Bass Safe though - I'd be tempted by one of those if I were you...

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Thanks Steve, the gator is looking very good to me at the moment, but will need to see how well fitted they are.

Else the SKB Bass Safe but it looks like I will need a new Gigbag as well

Cheers

Anyone else?

4. IF you fly get the ATA....I have seen a LOT of gear get destroyed over the last 25 years in everything from taped up cardboard boxes (BAD idea) to full blown Anvil ATA rated cases. However, when it comes to my gear I would rather pay a bit more and have the most protection I can get....Personally I HIGHLY suggest Jan-Al cases.....they are THE BEST you can get at any price....Jan has been supplying cases to the TOP of the entertainment, production, and corporate sectors for over 20 years and I persoanlly own 8 of his cases. One of them is 18 years old and still going strong without any failure at all...check them out here:

http://www.janalcase.com/

Peace,

T

5. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001

If you're going to air transport anything you care about, do it in an air transport approved case if you want to get reimbursed when they destroy it.

AIRPORT BAGGAGE HANDLING IS NOT THE PLACE TO HOPE FOR THE BEST. IT'S THE PLACE TO EXPECT AND PREPARE FOR THE WORST.

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Wow have you seen the in action picture, thats quite scary, I think for the time being as I'm not doing any touring abroad I'll probably get the skb bass safe, since the padding in my current gig bag is more that most hard cases, and this just adds a near indestuctable shell to it.

Tommixx do you not find you pay alot in excess bagage using those big wood and aluminium cases? I think I will eventually buy some of those boxes.

Also are there different standards of ata approved? Just so I don't get caught out with anything.

Cheers

7. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Steve,

I'm not sure how ATA approval affects insurance claims in the UK - I know a few people who've had gear smashed up in a variety of cases, and all have been able to sort out their claims eventually...

If it does mean that you're not covered, maybe the ATA is the way to go. I couldn't carry anything that heavy around with me (and there's no way on earth they'd let it on a Ryanair/EasyJez/BMI flight.)

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

8. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I have a ata case for my sadowsky and I use it...occaisionally on fly dates. I still feel better with the bass broken down in a carry on bag and not out of my sight.

I don't know what the actual legalites are regarding airline bagage damage but anecdotaly,

I was there when the buisness end of a forklift got ran straight through the sides of my guitar players "ATA" case turning into the world most expensive shish kabob.

He got paid eventually but they made his life miserable first because his "ATA" case didn't have ball corners or a recessed handle and really wasn't ATA despite what the salesman said.

The specs are posted around the 'net as to what is and is not ATA. It's pretty darn specific and you'd be surprised how much stuff sold as ATA really isn't.

All the ATA300 specs do is say, "If you build it this way, it will survive 300 trips without comming apart"

9. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    So would you say the SKB Bass Safe is ATA approved or not?

10. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    well, if you need a ata case for a stingray 4, i have one i need to get rid of. no use for it anymore and its taking up too much room in my bedroom.

its an ata300 spec

i got it new off ebay made by this dude in canada. he makes all sorts of cases. mainyl custom so you have to wait a week or so for him to make it.

11. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Well, I tried to get a SKB Bass Safe today and most places are out of stock, but can get them in within a week.

But while I was ringing round some one recomended a small family run company in Bury, so I gave them a ring and they were very very helpful.

The guy offered to build me a multi purpose bass case where I could remove the foam and replace it with other shapped foam inserts for my other basses, the cost of this just under 130 quid so 20 quid more than the bass safe shipped, true I have to add VAT ontop of that.

So I'm thinking of going the whole hog and getting him to build me a full ATA Double flight case, that takes two basses, has wheels and all recessed hardware. He said he could make a single flightcase about 10 kg's so I think he could make a double to about 15 since really they are only thicker.

He invited me down to have my basses measured so he could build it exact. Seemed like a very nice helpful guy, so I'll see how it goes, customer service goes a long way in this world.

Cheers guys keep the ideas coming since I'm not fully sold on either idea yet.

12. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    I've got an SKB Bass Safe, and the wheels have been damaged twice, and replaced, and now the latches comes loose with padlocks on them. I've also found nicks on my bridge after a flight. The best is that the surface is nonstick like teflon. There's no way to get "fragile", or any other stickers on it...