Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

do i need an effects pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by skyking, Jul 11, 2004.

1. skyking

skyking

Jul 11, 2004
    Montana
    i am fairly new to bass playing and i was wondering do i really need an effects pedal before i start playing gigs often? I play blues/rock and some country. i am on a tight budget and can't afford one now, and my guitarist thought i might want one.

2. 20one

20one

Jan 10, 2003
    Abilene, TX
    I've played over 200 gigs without using a single effect.

3. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    No I don't think you NEED one. But you might want one. It's nice to have a distortion pedal for a couple of songs escpecially if you're playing rock. I have a EHX Double Muff fuzz pedal and I don't think I really need it. It's just nice to spice to up some songs with. For country music, you don't need anything. For blues, nothing, maybe a distortion pedal that isn't turned up too high.

4. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    if you "look down" on people who play with effects, theres a million players that use them that would shred 95% of everyone on TB's balls off, so don't even go there.

anyway, like supersluggard said, you might want to check in to some overdrive/distortion pedals for that kind of stuff, maybe some reverb or chorus also.

5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    For blues/rock and country, I'd stay as far away from effects as possible. They're useful if you get into the more modern rockish stuff, maybe alternative, or sometimes for Bootsy and funky stuff like that. The most popular "effect" is probably compression, and it's probably a toss-up between distortion and chorus for runner-up. Envelope followers are comparatively rare.

6. orange_nate

orange_nate Guest

Apr 15, 2004
    remember you're creating art...so no one can really tell you that you do or dont need pedals...If you want to venture out with your sound and try new things than you should try some out...but the other guys are basically right...just if you want to...but theres no need....

7. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I went 14 years of playing bass without a single effect..this was mainly in country and jazz music. In the last few years I started experimenting with effects, to be honest I haven't plugged straight into an amp in as far back as I can remember. Is this good? I dunno....sometimes I think less is more. There are pro's and con's but I still kinda like having ton's of options available and guess I'd rather have it and not need it, as opposed to the other option. Like it's been mentioned...you're creating art..have fun and try all kinds of things.

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

For blues and rock, a compressor, a light tubey overdrive and a phaser (Roscoe Beck style) are pretty nice.
    Then again, if you're on a tight budget, you can easily live without them.

9. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    so you are saying that it is art and that people should be free to use whatever they want, but that theres no need for effects? i don't see the big deal in them at all, they can make or break songs really. a lot of primus' stuff, i couldn't imagine it withough effects. i do use a compressor all the time. there are so many songs by countless numbers of bands that wouldn't sound the same.
    that's pretty much like saying a guitarist shouldn't use distortion because they don't need it, and should be able to get their tone without one. but you can't get that sound without a distortion pedal or on an head.

10. 20one

20one

Jan 10, 2003
    Abilene, TX

I don't look down, I love effects lol... just haven't gotten around to getting any yet cuz I keep buying basses :eyebrow:

Didn't mean to sound like an ass or anything...

11. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    oh. well, at least that gave us a little bit to talk about at the least, lol. sorry if i sounded like an ass.

12. 20one

20one

Jan 10, 2003
    Abilene, TX
    lol, at gigs I just play out of whatever amp is supplied wherever we're playin or use my cheap 65 watt combo when things get desperate (don't usually play big shows, and if we do there IS a rig there for me)... at home if I want effects I jerry rig my guitar amp combo into the effects loop on my bass combo to use the built in effects on my guitar amp....

stupid eh? lol... after I get my next bass off layaway I'm gonna get a Boss GT-6B

13. skyking

skyking

Jul 11, 2004
    Montana
    thanks for all the input, i may still keep the thought of buying and effects pedal in the back of my mind.