Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do I need another preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rocky55, Oct 6, 2004.

1. I play in a cover band that plays mostly classic rock, but also covers some country and newer rock (Patsy Cline, CCR, Ozzy, Jet, etc.) We play bars that sit 100-1,000 people and also outdoor festivals (+1,000). I also occasionally sub in for country bands playing the same type of venues and do some studio work on occasion.

My old rig consisted of:
    Alembic F-1X ---> QSC PLX1602 ---> Eden 210XLT (replaced by EA CLX112

I sold the F-1X (QSC still for sale) when I bought the iAMP800 last February. The iAMP sounds amazing!!! I use a Radial JDI to go to FOTH.

Not too long after, I went to an in-ear-monitor setup (IEM) and stopped using the iAMP in my main band. I use the EA gear when I sub in or in the studio. Lately I've been thinking about: Sansamp RBI ---> Radial JDI ---> FOTH.

What would be the advantage of using the RBI? Is this unit worth it or should I just continue going direct and not bother with more knobs? Or maybe use the preamp portion of the iAMP into the JDI?

Thanks,
    Rocky

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    more than likely you're going to tick off the guy FOH off if you eq your signal too much before giving it to him. If you have to, i'd stick with the i amp rather than the RBI (which tends to color the sound)

3. The RBI offers 2 XLR output choices. I send the wet one to
    my QSC and the dry one (unaffected) to the PA. Sound
    guys love working with me. Also the RBI does a pretty good
    tube impersonation. More bang for the buck ! ! !

4. Sounds good. I guess I'll just keep sending a very clean signal to FOH through the JDI. I just thought that sometimes, it might be nice to have an SVT-type sound coming out front. Simpler is better. I don't need anything for my own sound on stage as I using IEM and the Lakland 55-94 does sound pretty good on its own. So I'll just keep the iAMP for the rare occasion where I actually do need an amp.

Thanks guys - Lager,
    Rocky

5. soundwave

soundwave

Oct 2, 2004
    I run the same sound to FOH as I am running to my speakers from the Sansamp (use the separate send). That way the FOH guy is getting the sound I want - not dialing in something that is not what "my" sound is. I know many FOH guys like the dry signal but this actually works better - I also do FOH and can tell you one mean bass sound can be had from the sansamp tube emu circuit at FOH.
    Michael

6. Aaaaarggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!! I knew I would be getting pros and cons... decisions, decisions....

Thanks for sharing Michael. I too usually run sound for our band except for the bigger clubs or festivals where a soundman is provided. But even then, I know the guys pretty well and I don't think they would give me a hard time.

I guess the question now is "will the bass sound better going through the RBI or by just sending a really clean signal from the Lakland throught the JDI?"

I wish I could try a unit for a weekend..... wait a minute... the manager at one of our local music store has let the other guys in the band try out gear before... I wonder if he would let me try the RBI. If he does, I'll let you know how I liked it.

Thanks!
    Rocky