Do I need compression onstage?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Astroman, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Astroman

Astroman Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    Winston-Salem, NC
    I've got a nice rig, and several hi-end basses, but i wonder if my cab is emitting too many overtones or overall low-end...
    I've got a Genz Benz 4x10XB, driving it with a Stewart 1.2, bridged at 1200 watts @ 4 ohms, and an Avalon U-5 pre-amp. I usually play a 2001 Ken Smith BSR-5M, and a Warmoth P/J 4 bass w/Bart pre-amp. I generally get a great tone, and mostly play fingerstyle with occaisional slap.
    My problem is in medium to small venues, too much low end fills up the room, gets picked up on other mikes and sometimes gets a little too boomy. (the upshot is there's no need for PA) If I try to tweek my pre-amp on the bass, i tend to lose too much low end.
    Would a hi-end compressor/limiter help? The p-bass really spikes when i slap, that's bound to help there?
    Or would a tighter sounding cab like an Epifani or Bergantino help get the tone I'm after? (I don't care for a super-tight, middy tone however -- still want everyone to know I'm playing the bass!)
    Thanks for any suggestions. :)
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    A little compression never hurts IMO, but I'm not sure if it helps in your case. The soundguy will probably slap on some compression anyway.

Rolling off some lows might help more, Too much lowend can really mess up the stage sound, a lot of soundguys are not too fond of it, and it's not really neede, unless you play dub or something.

The compressor will help you tame that P a little though.
  3. This is definately an Amps question. So off it goes.
  4. extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    I would say, in general, yes it would tighten up your low end. Although any piece of gear has it's own specs and character...

I've use a Joe Meek VC3 compressor to do just what you're looking for. It tightens up the low end nicely while still giving you a fat, full tone. Sometimes this is just what I want and other times I don't want this. It depends on the bass as well; definitely nice with a P - I've never played a Smith.

I would say go ahead and try it! That Avalon is an amazing preamp, but it does put out huge low end (which is what you're trying to tame).