Do I need insulation in my cabs??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flatwound, Dec 4, 2000.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I see insulation in bass cabs sometimes, and I have a couple of 1x15" cabs that don't have any. Do I need it? If so, what should I use, and where do I put it?

:confused: I'm so confused! :confused:
  2. The stuff you saw is dampening wool. It's used to suppress the midrange a bit as well as some lower frequency resonances. If you think those cabs sound too sharp, you could put dampening pads on all inside walls except the front. Be sure to leave the vents completely open and stay 5 inches away from the inside opening.

If you like the sound from those cabs: don't change anything. They abviously were designed that way.
  3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
  4. could someone please tell me more about this?

i was in a shop thursday and the salesman told me about this, he said it might do some good for the amps tone.

I believe he mentioned something about speaker size related to this too, but i cant remember exactly what he said....

How do u put on the wool, is it easy testable?
    I have a 10" 30W combo i might have actually sold today (im w8ing for response :) )

5. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    There's a bit of a misnomer out there that adding stuffing is the same as making your cabinet bigger. This is not entirely true, though it can be for sealed cabinets (ie no vents. Most bass cabs are vented). Joris' explaination is about as detailed as it gets. The primary job is to prevent standing waves bouncing around inside the cab. If the cab doesn't have any stuffing, it probably doesn't need it.