1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do I need more/bigger cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nigel, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Nigel

Nigel

Sep 16, 2004
    Denmark
    I recently started the svt 410hlf vs. aguilar gs212 thread. Thought I might get more answers, if I pinpointed my problem a little more carefully so here goes. I think this is a fairly general issue, so others might benefit from this thread too.

I am currently using a 700rb-I + neo112. When I play live with my band (no PA support) I have no problems keeping up volumewise, but I would like the sound to fill the room better. I guess I want better/another kind of projection. If I use a long cord and stand out front, playing during soundchecks, the way it sounds makes you very aware exactly where the bass sound is coming from. Sort off like the sound reaches you in a beam more than a wall/surrounds you.
    When playing on stage I can easily hear myself, but would like to feel the bass a little more and have a more pillowy bottom (without being muddy, think John Deacon of "Queen") as opposed to an attacking/aggressive sound (I play fingerstyle with a relatively light touch).
    Is this a matter of eq settings or is increased speaker area the answer to my problems?

If its speakers I need what would be better?

212: More of the tone my 112 has?
    115 to fill out the low end?
    412/810: The only thing that can give what I request is a fridge-sized cab?

Allmost all my gigs are without PA support.

2. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    If you want more low end without getting muddy, you're most likely going to need a bottom cab to support your 112.

212s are nice, but IMO, you've already got a 112, and a 115 will give you a full, more balanced tone like what you're looking for. Placing the 112 on top will allow it to be more clear on the midrange by projecting outwards instead of along the floor. Let the 115 do that work.

We had a PM discussion flying about some similar stuff earlier; even though the Neo 115 is naturally more aggressive than, say, a 115RBH, it's not dramatically different, and you'll have to re-EQ your sound anyway if you add any kind of cab. Plus, it'd match your current setup :D

3. i reckon just get another neo112

i have a 2 x 112 cab setup, works well, take 1 x 112 for rehearsals and small gigs, take two for the bigger gigs, nice and portable and versatile

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021