1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do I need more lessons yet?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Depth_Charge, Aug 11, 2007.

1. As some may recall, I lined up some lessons with a musician I look up to in the local metal scene, but only got one one hour lesson in before we had to postpone due to his schedule.

Firstly, I'll say I am amazed at my improvements since having the lesson. I've been self taught and playing for over 10 years, but his advice has improved me as a player overnight, and within a week my fingering and timing improved out of sight...so much so my bandmates noticed!

My "teacher" gave me some introductory information and lesson sheets and while I have adopted the left and right hand fingering exercises and metronome work into my daily practice routine, I still haven't spent as much time as I would like on the theory components (reading, chords, scales etc), due to band commitments. And I still don't know what a mode is :(

If I'm not "keeping up" per se, would you guys recommend I hold off on more lessons until I feel satisfied I have absorbed all he gave me? I'm worried doing more now might waste both our time and being mindful the guy is doing me a favour, I don't want to waste my favours :)

2. Jonny B

Jonny B

Nov 5, 2006
    WI
    Absorb what he gave you and then schedule up another lesson.

3. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    ...and you might learn what modes are and how to use them. Start with mixolydian or dorian, for example. They are probably the most widely used modes in popular music.

I felt the same way after my first lesson. then I took three more, but I should have continued. It only started to get difficult to schedule the lessons so I stopped, more or less intentionally.

4. i see no reason not to continue, if the lessons improve your playing that much then why would you stop?

5. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    That pretty much sums it up. It'll hold true your whole life too. Lots of very accomplished players take lessons from other very accomplished players.