1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do i Need Pedals For Punk/Punk Rock

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dumbassist, Apr 2, 2006.

1. dumbassist

dumbassist

Sep 5, 2005
    Well, do i??

Pedals refers to expression pedals, Wahs and Volume Pedal...
    Well, Do i need Em???? and can someone explain to me what is a volume pedal? and what is the difference between a wah and an expression pedal??

And For metallica stuff, i only need a wah2 and a right? im talking abt pedals not effects...

Man, pedals are making me Dizzy...

2. Rocknrolljunkie

Rocknrolljunkie

Jan 29, 2006
    you dont need but you can use it.

3. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    As already written: you don't need pedals, but you are free to use them.

For punk/rock I wouldn't go with any of the pedals you've listed, but that's just me :) Punkrock as I hear it is a lot of mids, a P-bass and a pick.

Might aswell add a tad - just a little - overdrive to make the sound dirty :smug:

4. dumbassist

dumbassist

Sep 5, 2005
    So what DO you recommend??? I want something that can be used for Punk Rock as well as metallica Stuff...

So is the russian muff an overdrive??? or is it a distortion that can be set to overdrive??

and the english Muff'n IS an overdrive right???

5. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    As written, for punk/rock I'll recommend an EQ with lots of mids and a pick.

The muff isn't an overdrive, it's more of a fuzz and to me - it dosn't sound good as it drowns all the dynamics of your tone. But that's just me.

A great overdrive pedal is the EBS MultiDrive or Fulltone Bass Drive, they're both really good to add a little dirtyness to your sound.

That's all I would need to play punk/rock.

I'm playing in a hardrock/metal band and I'm just using: compressor, preamp, EBS MultiDrive and that's it - don't need any more.

6. dumbassist

dumbassist

Sep 5, 2005
    thanks uli, that really helped... anything else fellow T-bers??

7. you could also try the ibanez tonelok bass overdrive, because if you are punk rock, you can't afford 100 dollar effect pedals ;)

a volume pedal is a pedal that looks like a wah pedal and it controls your volume. with your heel to the ground, the volume is at the minimum, and when your toe is down, the volume is at the max.
    A wah pedal is a type of expression pedal. An expression pedal is a generic term for a pedal that you control with your foot in a wah-style pattern. volume pedal and wah pedals are two examples of an expression pedal...

8. To my mind the true punk sound is raw a simple. A P bass plugged straight in is ideal. That said, an overdrive used sparingly, and not set too high, can give you that extra push just when you need it.

I've not tried enough pedals to suggest one. Just go into a store and try a few out. When it comes right down to it what people will be listening to is what you're playing rather than the sounds that you add on top.

Cheers

9. clockworkwar

clockworkwar

Mar 20, 2006
    England
    I have a Jim Dunlop Bass Wah, thats almost industry staderd for all bassists.
    And a Electro Harmonix Double Muff, mix them together and you some monster tone!

10. i agree with you, but as far as overdrive used sparingly in punk, i don't know if i believe that. What i see in punk bands is a p-bass plugged into an amp, and all the knobs are turned on ten, so in effect overdrive is always present, just not in pedal form :)

11. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    A middy overdrive? I just picked-up a GK Deisel Dawg a couple months ago, and I picture that it might lend some good, middy, quack for Punk.

Also - I'd always recommend a compressor. I use one full-time. I really like the Boss CS-3; it's not a natural, 'transparent' kind of compressor - it's a 'squeezer'.

Another thing you should check out is a certain class of pedal that includes the Aphex Bass Xciter, Sansamp products, and the Hartke Bass Attack. These all include - among other things - a sort of low-frequency compression that really fattens-up a Bass! I don't hear it talked about much, but I was fairly impressed with the Bass attack - it was selling for only US$99, and sounded impressive - much like the Sansamp - and offered a nice overdrive sound, EQing that is switchable in/out, and this phatness-thing.

Joe

12. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Really the orginal punk ethos was a DIY "don't ask for permission - make your own rules!" kinda thing, with some low budget spin - just a loud rig and a bass are the entry level requirements to say what needed to be said.

But the "don't ask for permission - - make your own rules!" bit would still apply ; } - it's NOT punk if you are just trying to be like others, wearing some approved uniform that any label/genre affiliation can eventually lead to.

13. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Well, for TRUE punk bass I would use a lot of flanger and a delay with long repeats set to 100% wet, and I would turn down the mids and the low end and crank the treble, play with a popping and tapping style, and run the whole thing through a Heil Talkbox. But that's only for the REAL HxCx punx.

31HZ likes this.
  14. brachal

brachal

Jan 7, 2006
    New Orleans, La
    Punk is what you make it. I can't address the Metallica side of things, but I've been playing in an old-school punk band for about 2 years now, and I've used, at various times:
    1. '85 P-bass w/EMG's
    2. '68 Gibson eb-3 ... don't laugh, it's a monster. It will hurt you. Then it will find your children and hurt them as well.
    3. new epiphone eb-0 ... for places I don't want to take the other two.
    All of the above through a hartke vx3500 -- heavy on mids and compression.

For pedals, the Russian Big Muff works well when added raunch is required. Tried the Double Muff, but lost too much low end. Didn't like it. Occasionally the Digitech bass chorus pedal comes out. The great thing about playing bass, is that you don't NEED more than the bass, amp, strap, and cable. You can build on that if you're missing something.

15. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Holy schaah-moley: This place is selling them for US$69!

http://www.activemusician.com/store...nav=p-simt&c=2612C1B479C9495C87C9499384D1E1D7

Joe

16. dumbassist

dumbassist

Sep 5, 2005
    hmm, what website sells the deisel dawg?? a website that ships WORLDWIDE...

17. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I really don't think that you'd need a lot of effects for Punk Rock. Some sort of bass plugged straight into a loud amp powering an 810 cab is likely to be all you need.

Of course, there are no rules when it comes to this. Use what you like and what you think improves the overall sound of the music.

+1. Also, one can substitute the P bass with a Jazz or MusicMan. IMO, punk isn't exactly one of the most "picky" music genres when it comes to tone. I don't think that Punk requires a certain tone or tones, most of the time, it's all about volume.

He said it all. That's all it takes to be TrUe PuNk, Y0. RAWK! :bassist:

:smug:

18. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Someone must! It's a GK product, so I'd think that whoever sells GK amps could get'em!

I sound I've really become fond of is bass to Boss CS-3 compressor to GK Deisel Dawg to [headphone amp/bass amp/home stereo/recording deck/whatever]The CS-3 is set 10:00, 5:00, 2:00, 9:30 (left-to-right); the D.D. is set 10:00, 2:00, 12:00, 7:00, 9:00. This is like medium compression, light overdrive.

I nowadays play mostly funk. I haven't forgotten that it's a PUNK sound we're talking about for you here - I still think my settings listed above would make a good punk sound! It BARKS!

Joe

19. dumbassist

dumbassist

Sep 5, 2005
    So...will the Boss DD-20 Digital Delay cut it?? or is there some better delay??? Er, Cheaper Perhaps??:bag:

20. (I think he was just kidding :))

(unless you really do want a delay, then the DD20 is a perfectly capable delay pedal...and there are cheaper delay pedals)