do I need POD?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by air_leech, Nov 30, 2000.

1. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000

hey, I got a crappy 60 watter amp, fender BXR line.
    somehow (god only knows) my 5 string bass sounds ok through it and it handels the low B nicely through it's 12" speaker cone made out of toilet paper.
    now, I can upgrade to a combo or head+cab sytem which puts much more juice, or I can get me a Bass Pod (BOD?) to squeeze the most of my lame amp of which my sound somehow cuts through when I play with a guitarist.
    so volume wise I'm ok but I want more tone so is the BOD good enought to solve this problem or is it just a few EQ presets slapped together into one shiny black aluminum bean shaped box?
    I'm not really intrested in effects aside from a good compressor, can the BOD supply me with a decent compressor?
    is the BOD a good DI for recording into my PC?
    and finnaly, if the BOD is a complete failure in recreating those classic amps sounds, is the Johnson J-Station any better?
  2. groundzerobass7

Nov 1, 2000
    hey whats up
    Alright first its a BASs POD and the Jstation is a guitar processor much like the regular POD for guitar. I would DEFINETLY get a head and cab system wrather than the Bass POD and if you want effects I would buy single effect pedals But thats just my opinion GOOD LUCK
  3. I tried a Bass Pod out with a fretted Stingray 5 (I have a fretless SR5) through an SWR Workingman's 15 (not really that much like my amp, an Ampeg BA-115.. but they're both 15's.. and it was right there) and I didn't really like it.

some of the effects presets were ok.. but I'd rather get single effects boxes.. and the amp presets didn't do much for me.. your mileage may vary though.. some people really seem to like it
  4. phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Your priority should be the amp. Besides your bass guitar, a good amp is the key to getting a good tone. That is the all-important foundation. Effects are not essential, so that can come later. Once you have found your tone, you can then add individual effects boxes when you have the dough.
  5. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    first of all, the J-station has three bass rig settings and the sample on their site sounds good but that is a masure which is not relavent since Johnson won't put bad samples on their site (same goes to Bass Player's POD samples, cos line6 pay them good money for adverts, only that their samples are awful).

seconed, I don't want the effects of the POD, I want to know if the amp and cab models sound good and similar to original ones.
    I don't need an SVT4's juice, only the tone (or GK, EDEN whatever in that case).
    I need the tones I like to come out of my small amp, that way I don't need to buy 16 different rigs (of course half of the amps there are of no interst for me).
    now can the POD supply that? can it make any, or most, amps to sound like those classic rigs in terms of tone (not in power and volume, just sound)?
  6. The pod is good for DI'ing it seems. I cant figure out how you can make a 12" cone sound like a melting SVT with 8x12 cab.. but hey what do I know?
  7. The POD should be able to accomplish what you want it to do as far as amp simulation and recording but eventually you will reach a point where you will need more power so I'd opt for more power before spending the money on effects etc. Also another thing to consider is that if you end up having to really push your Fender BXR, you might not be able to get the POD's tones to sound the way they would sound if you had a more powerful amp. If you don't have enough headroom no signal processor, no matter how slick, will sound right IMHO. Put the money towards a new amp. You'll be happier in the long run.
  8. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Yeah, I agree with everyone here. You have to do first things first. Have a decent quality bass, head and cab. That should do great for most everything.

Effects or the POD can only augment what you've already got. So if your system sucks then nothing can save it.
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    There's a slight chance that the SansAmp Bass Driver DI will actually do what you wish the POD would do ... make your existing amp sound better. The POD won't do this. I'm with the others on this. Work on getting a good setup first, before you buy all the doohickeys. And, as I've said before, get the SansAmp first.