Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do I need this much bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fenbull, Nov 17, 2003.

1. fenbull

fenbull

Oct 31, 2003
    Akron ohio
    Hello, a few weeks ago I left a thread or two helping me decide on a good starter bass.I selected and bought a MIM Jazz from GC since they had 15 month SAC. I love the bass ....but is it to much? I have no time for lessons...maybe in the future but i dont see it coming. I highly doubt I will ever be in a band again...it has been about 25 years ago and I played guitar then.I play at home only and alone to c.ds and the radio. I also go online and do lessons there and play tab to old and new songs.I have no time or interest in theory and just like to jam and groove to my style of playing.Do i need a $400.00 jazz for this? I am thinking an OLP or squier could satisfy me and save me $200.00 or more for the good. Also my fantastic wife is buying this for me and i could save her the money as well. I guess i am feeling guilty cuz i could have spent less....but i always wanted a jazz and the price was good.For what I do and how I play is the Jazz worth 200.00 more bucks for me? Or should I trade back before my 30 day return is up.I know alot of you have some fine basses and I am sure you use them to the full and play in bands,school or are serious about your lessons...so help me should i trade down OLP...squier or take what is mine and be happy?
    :bawl: :bawl:

2. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    The OLP Bass is a fine bass for the price. If you are feeling guilty about it, just go for it.:cool:

3. I can't say enough about my Olp 5 string. For the price,$199 I think she was a steal. I would definately recomend trying out a few 1rst though. Some are alittle rough. Mine on the other hand is a dream!!! Took me a week or so to get used to the string spacing though.

4. metalgod502

metalgod502 Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    il. U.S.A.
    even if you hardly play bass at all i dont see anything wrong with haveing a really nice bass as long as you like it.

5. SilverELEX

SilverELEX

Oct 28, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Im in the same situation as you are. Dont see me taking lessons any time soon. I am about to purchase a used Warwick Corvette. I thought about keeping my Ibanez around for a while but im not happy with the way it sounds. I figure there is nothing wrong with having a nice bass. Enjoy your playing experience!

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Someone who isnt serious about bass is about to purchase the same bass i want :( I wish i had money.

7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I wouldn't get a Squier, but if you feel really bad about it, get an Essex Jazz from www.rondomusic.com

8. As a hobby player, you're just doing it for the sheer enjoyment of it... might as well have a bass you enjoy. You're probably more likely to play a bit more often if you keep the Jazz you covet.

9. SilverELEX

SilverELEX

Oct 28, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Figjam, I never said I wasnt serious about bass. Im very serious about playing. Infact, I just got done practicing. I play a few hours or so a day. I think about playing all day long. Problem is I do work full time and I recently graduated from college and I am looking for a new job. Soooooo, that could possibly screw with my time to take lessons. BTW, dont you just love Warwicks!?

Jason

10. fenbull

fenbull

Oct 31, 2003
    Akron ohio
    well I am going to keep the jazz. I know it is the best for the money and I am a fender guy. silver is like me...i practice daily and take it to heart. thats why i need the better bass. thanks

11. SilverELEX

SilverELEX

Oct 28, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Good decision fenbull

12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Excellent descision.

Your statement
    suggested to me that you should keep the Jazz. I've had a MIM Jazz bass and they're very nice.